Newbie to the channel and starting my journey. I need some help to start

blessed2bless7

Just turned 50 this year and made it a goal to transform myself the next 12 months. I am 6’ and about 260. I just want to be strong and trim. I don’t care about my weight as much as I do my waist. I am starting with an hour walking on the treadmill or outside. I am hoping I can get some strength training tips from this in our age group. Any suggestions, recommendations or plans are greatly appreciated.

@blessed2bless7 Congrats on your new plan! Walking is a great way to start. If you have access to a gym, weight lifting is also a great way to build strength while burning calories. I know you aren't focused on weight loss, but you'll get better results if you avoid sugar, processed foods, and booze. The key to weight loss is very simple: burn more calories than you consume.
Might be helpful to set a goal: do a 5k run walk this summer and train for it. When it's done, do another and try to finish with a better time.
Good luck!

@blessed2bless7 Sure, if you have access to a planet fitness, or similar, go 3-5x a week (3 as the minimum) and start with a 10 minute cardio warm up, on a bike or treadmill, whatever you like. Then, move onto a routine using light weight (it should give resistance, but not feel too hard) at a higher number of reps like 2 or 3 sets of 10-12 reps each.
Start with machines: chest press, shoulder press, bicep curls, and other basic motions.
When you feel ready for the next level, add in dumbbells, again nothing too heavy, but go for a higher rep count.
This will help you build lean muscle, lose fat, and burn calories while avoiding injury.
Then, think about progression to a spin class, yoga, or other guided exercises that will help you push yourself in a safe environment with a trainer.
Ofc, you could hire a PT. You should make sure your doctor gives you thumbs up on all this before starting, just to rule out a heart issue or anything.
Good luck!
I am a certified pt and nutrition coach, but i don't do it professionally, it's just a hobby.

@blessed2bless7 My favorite hint on strength training is to keep moving through your exercises quickly enough to keep your heart rate up. I find that it helps me with endurance for hiking, and it frees up machines for your fellow gym-goers.

@blessed2bless7 I have never seen a movie of his, and am not a bodybuilder, but have subscribed to this very good common sense daily (M-F) email from Arnie. No selling (though he now has an app which I think is pay, and an occasional book or film). Mostly it is stick to it''ness, good eating, decent psychological tips. He is a very positive thinker and it will rub off.

https://schwarzenegger.ck.page/0943ca5e13

Just me am a 64F into a year of strength training and am very active already biking, paddling, tennis, etc.

@blessed2bless7 As someone who started at 6 feet and 280 pounds (230 right now), I think the weight loss is still worth it.

As you can see from pics of several of our sub members, even at 230 it takes major dedication to muscle development to have that weight with low body fat.

Good luck with your training, and stick around here!

@blessed2bless7 Visual_Warthog_392
I can remember how daunted I felt stepping out of my 40s & heading towards my 50th birthday. It truly freaked me out.
If I knew then what I know now, I would say that you've got to go through the discomfort to come out the other side. And when you do, there's a decision to make.
'Do I believe the lies that I have to look, feel & be a stereotype of what being 50 is?'
Or
'Can I choose my own version of being the age that I am that feels good to me?'

I started a YouTube channel 2 weeks ago. Aiming to disrupt the stereotype that being over 40 & 50+ can't look & feel amazing for us.
My YouTube channel is 'Zabina Buff'

I'd be happy to explore any health & lifestyle topics you might bump up against on your health and wellness journey.

@blessed2bless7 If you have the means, please find a personal trainer to get you on the right path. Many of us are dual certified in nutrition, as well. A PT will set you up with a great path to a healthy lifestyle with good food choices and also give you a good progressive workout with goals that are reasonable and achievable. There’s far too much information needed to be gotten in a thread. PT’s are trained to ask the right questions to get clients a plan that works with their lifestyle and personal preferences.

@liz869802 It took me 2+ years to figure things out for myself, without a trainer. Though the pandemic did make my habits rather inconsistent, as I had to stop the gym during times of high COVID.

The quicker start would have been worth using a personal trainer.

Back