No idea what I’m doing…

septagon

22M, 5’6”, 161lbs (BMI 26.0). I’m coming here, simply put, to find some answers… I really need to learn how to exercise; I used to weigh 138lbs but over the past year I’ve been progressively gaining more and more weight. From the outside, I still look pretty thin. But I’m really starting to get a noticeable beer belly while the rest of my body still looks fine.

I’m on the autism spectrum and have persistent depressive disorder, and I struggle to find the motivation to do many things. I’ve lost the enjoyment in doing lots of things I used to find fun too. On top of that, I stress-eat and also eat when I’m bored and have no discipline whatsoever around food. I can literally eat 2 whole bags of chips, a cup of rice, and chicken in one sitting. I have a very sedentary lifestyle as well; I’m training to be a pilot and my job only requires me to be moderately physically active. My diet does not help either; it’s quite poor and I have several food allergies, with peanuts and eggs being the most severe.

I really just want to lose 20lbs. That’s literally it. Every time I try to do exercise, I get horrendously nauseous and can hardly get past 15-20 minutes without being exhausted. I can’t even do a single proper push-up. I just don’t know what to do but I want to find a way to pull myself out of this.

@albertagirl i’ve used a few and i actually don’t have a fav but personal trainers are so helpful bc most of us simply do not have the motivation it takes to really get into shape and accountability and encouragement make for greater results. i’d just look at what apps are avail and see what speaks to you! they have virtual trainers, walking apps, apps that offer live and saved classes with tonnnns of options of workouts

@yyyynn Would you suggest 1 app that covers all bases, such as tracking progress, diet plans and instructional vids or would you recommend multiple apps each with their own focus.

@albertagirl or! you could try a couple different fitness apps and switch it up from time to time. one of the most important things i’ve learned over the years that keeps me motivated is variety

@septagon Try doing pushups by leaning against a kitchen counter until you can do regular ones. Go on long walks with short bursts of running mixed in. Start small and make an effort to do something each day. I could barely walk half a mile and now I'm running 4 miles.

The key to healthy weight loss is diet, exercise, and fasting. I stay in at least a 500 daily calorie deficit, I eat keto whole foods and stay under 26g net carbs a day, fast at least 18 hours a day, lift heavy 3x a week and do intense cardio 2-3x per week. I'm losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time. I'm also likely in ketosis which drastically reduces hunger and cravings and has also been excellent for my mood, anxiety, and depression. I use a calorie and macro tracker called CarbManager that has been a lifesaver for keeping my diet in check.

Everyone has to start somewhere and that can be the hardest part.

Back