Not finding the classes provide enough volume

zekori

Hey guys. I’m fairly new to CrossFit. I’m used to training 4-5 times a week. Mainly strength and conditioning work. Kinda picked up crossfit so I wasn’t doing it on my own.

I’ve picked up CrossFit and I’m enjoying it. But I’m finding the hour class isn’t enough. Normally I’d do an entire S&C workout like oly lifitng, heavy squats, accessory work, then do a metcon. I’m finding I feel like I do only one of the movements I described about then some skills and a metcon. It feels like I’m losing strength.

I want to keep doing CrossFit. But how do I supplement the classes with the other work too?

@zekori If your box offers open gym or is large enough that you can do your own thing before or after class, then do that. If your box only offers classes and you can't do additional work outside of class, then find a decently stocked traditional gym near you and do your supplemental work there. Lots of people do exactly that.

@pj1070 I do have an open gym it’s just very rammed. It also gets massively expensive to do both lol. But I agree that’s the best way to do it!

@zekori Find the people at your gym who are hitting the big numbers when they lift, or look the way you want to look, or whatever your goals are, and ask them. They have firsthand experience with whatever programming your gym uses.

@zekori Plenty of people supplement CrossFit with non-CrossFit workouts.

You ain’t an outlier in feeling a 45 minute workout 3 days a week doesn’t scratch that itch.

@zekori CrossFit is an intensity-based methodology. It’s lean on volume with the thought that you can always go faster. If general health and fitness is your target, this is a great program. But it looks like you’re coming from a sporting perspective. If that’s the case, CrossFit should simply be supplemental to your main S&C if at all. Really, if you’re looking for sports performance, you should probably check out Field Strong by Power Athlete.

@goodgirlnow There is probably a bit of nuance to this statement in reality. Additional volume addressing goals/weakness can work wonders on progression in crossfit. There is only so much you can get done with a hour class and progression is largely dependent on the programming. Junk volume is never great though.

@goodgirlnow I agree with that to a certain extent… too much is not better. But a bit more might be. If you start CrossFit with decent numbers in heavy squats and oly lifts you will likely lose strength in those areas. Finding a way to maintain as much of that strength(or continue to gain) while still improving conditioning will be a bit different for everyone.

@yodes I also agree that "more" or "too much" is not better. I think the majority of people can do a bit more in regards to physical activity in general and for CrossFit skill development a little more and consistency goes along way. Volume has it's place but volume for the sake of volume is never a good thing. Volume for the sake of volume is also easy to do but to develop a well rounded program takes a bit more thinking and planning.

@goodgirlnow What does one hope to achieve by taking CF classes?

For some people, the classes align with their goals. For others, they do not.

CrossFit is GPP, it is generic and lacks specificity on purpose. If you have training goals, taking CF classes will almost assuredly will not help you attain those goals.

@zekori There are three main objectives to get stronger - intensity, frequency, and volume. If you feel like you need more, maybe try more intensity or frequency. Essentially adding more reps or weight, before adding more sets.

Also, Crossfit has to get you fit in many different lifts in a week. Many workout plans for other sports do these twice/three times a week, e.g. benching, squatting, weightlifting.

If you are more trained there is no problem with adding more volume. I don't get much from the sessions at my box either. We do 2 exercises that work different muscles at the start of our CrossFit class, often only 3-4 sets each. This is small compared to a powerlifting or bodybuilding workout.

@zekori CrossFit is a class, structured for everyone, not down to an individual level. Everyone’s goals and needs are different, and you’re finding out that it is not perfect for you.