Nothing is working

warlord4747

5’2 32 years old and I’m at my heaviest 150 pounds. Since Covid I reached 130 lbs and have been fluctuating between 130 and 148 since last year but I’m shocked that the scale that I’ve been avoiding is 150. I’ve gained 20 pounds in 6 months 😔. My lowest weight has been 130 lbs since 2020 and it was still very heavy to me. I like being 120 but I guess my metabolism has finally slowed down.

As of 3 weeks ago, I’ve been eating 1200 cal a day according to TDEE, doing barre once a week, running 1.5 miles twice a week, walking 10 k steps daily and doing 30 min hit 2-3 times a week. The scale hasn’t moved at all. My hormone panel came back normal but last summer I went from 146 to 130 after I did 5 shots of semaglutide while consistently working out before the shots the scale wouldn’t move. I’m so frustrated and didn’t go see family and friends for Mother’s Day because I am embarrassed at how fat I feel. I’m not sure if I’m use to faster results and my age is finally catching up to me. I just needed to vent and see if anyone in my shoes found a more effective routine.

@warlord4747 Definitely see a doctor due to the rate of weight gain—but it is completely normal not to see change on the scale after just 21 days. No reason to panic about that. It just takes more time.

@warlord4747 See a physician and a registered dietitian if you can. I recommend finding an online trainer as well to keep you accountable.

There’s a few possibilities here:
- medication affecting metabolism (doctor can rule this out)
- blood sugar issues (doctor can rule this out)
- high stress
- inaccurate calorie tracking (this is the most common)
- type of foods you’re eating

Why not try barre 3 times weekly instead of HIIT? You’ll build muscle and have a consistent routine.

Metabolism does not slow done until our 60s so it’s either lifestyle, diet, or medical reasons

@warlord4747 One of the things about semaglutide is that you lose muscle mass as well as fat. More muscle means a higher BMR, so I think its possible that taking the semaglutide meant you lost some of your muscle tissue, but when you gained the weight back it was mostly as fat. Maybe try some resistance training?

@warlord4747 I’m 5’2 and it’s normal for me to gain weight quickly when I’m inactive. My vices are alcohol, ordering out, and pizza. I had to get really honest with myself to drop weight and it’s still a work in progress. I’m only down 9 pounds in 3 months but something is better than nothing.

@warlord4747 I'm 159 at 5'3 and I don't feel so overweight that I wouldn't be able to go out and spend time with friends or family. If you look around, most people actually do sit a little heavier. In fact, I find most people are even heavier than me! I don't think you would stand out at all. I still feel beautiful at my weight. My husband still thinks I am beautiful. I am currently watching my weight and trying to work out a little more to stay healthy, but I am certainly not ashamed. Someone I know recently snapped a random photo of me at an event where I was completely unprepared and standing in a really unflattering way and I wasn't impressed with my appearance, but I think the aspect ratio of the photo was a little off anyways lol I wasn't impressed. But overall, I wouldn't hide away from others in the slightest! Just do what you need to do for you. Not for other people.

@jamieredheaduk So happy to see this advice here! OP, it’s concerning that you’re hiding away from your loved ones because of your weight. Please don’t neglect your mental health. It’s important too.

@warlord4747 Lots of great comments here but I'll also say that even on my perfectly mathematically measured cut (and being very disciplined/honest with myself), the scale tends to not budge/creep up for ~3 weeks, and then shoot down for the fourth week (which for me is after ovulation rather than my period). Over time it all goes down, but it can be *so* frustrating when it looks like nothing's happening in the moment. It seems like this randomness is pretty normal for women, especially when you're not starting at something like 300 lbs where the lbs seem to come off pretty fast and regular. Keep at it! Honestly, time is the real secret to all of this. (And weighing your food!)

@warlord4747 I suggest tracking your food. I believe you have to be getting a higher calorie burn based on your workouts. However the running and hitt workouts your body is going to hold onto some water weight when you first start to help repair those muscles. I have always struggled with my appetite increasing along side my workout increases so be mindful you aren’t eating back everything you are burning.

@warlord4747 Do you track your food intake? I am 5'1 and I'm trying to lose fat myself. I can tell you that it's insane how even one bite of food can up your caloric intake for the day. How much NEAT are you doing - are you walking everywhere? Are you fidgeting etc. These are all important parts of staying slim. How hard are you working out? Take a look at your last 6 months and be honest with where you're at. Life changes and things happen. Are you sleeping enough? Are you stressed out?

Also - bear in mind if you are doing new programs for training you might be chronically inflammed because your body is adjusting to everything.

Just some feedback as I feel your pain.

@ryushin Thank you. That could be possibly be it. I was doing Pilates and walking but just started doing hiit twice a week after not seeing a change so my body could possibly be inflamed.