Plant-based protein combo for optimal essential amino acid intake?

emmalynx

I know there are endless Q&As around *high* protein sources, but I haven't seen specific discussion or ideas around some of the best ways to combine the various plant-based protein sources to ensure the optimal level amount of essential amino acids.

I transitioned to WFPB diet in Jan '21 and the hardest part for me is adjusting diet to avoid muscle loss. I say "hard", but really it's been OK - I've just upped my calorie & protein intake to "hit my macros".

However from what I understand, it's not necessarily good enough to hit X grams of protein per day, since plant-based proteins have varying amounts of the essential amino acids. The advice therefore is to "eat a variety", but that's so vague...

I'd love to hear of others who have dialed in their plant-based protein consumption with a deliberate focus on diverse & balanced amino acid intake. For example, soy milk for X + lentils for Y + leafy greens for Z...

Ultimately for me I'm hoping to find 2-3 snacks that are centered around this concept. Why? Because my partner and I are on the same diet but my caloric & protein needs are higher than hers, so I figure snacking is where I can make up the difference. But I'm busy af and really want something mindless that I can just do on a routine and rest assured I'm at least near the optimal range. :)

@emmalynx The tip to eat a variety is all you need.

1-PB sources of protein contain unique AA profiles, so eat multiple kinds.

2-You eat multiple meals each day, accruing AAs from each meal

3-Sufficient general calorie intake ensures you’re getting enough EAAs for what your body uses them for.

@emmalynx I just get protein from a variety of sources, in cronometer it breaks down every amino acid but I don't really care. I eat 170g of protein a day but only need 100 but it's from whole foods. I'd say brown rice, broccoli and legumes are your best bet. I used to have a protein shake 60% brown rice and 40% pea to be as close to whey as possible but I just buy a blend now. Just eat grains, legums and vegetables and you're fine! I snack on bread because I'm an endurance athlete and need the energy. You can also make some oats as an after workout.

I have a meal plan and be creative it's just about the calories and protein want to eat more veggies? Eat less oats or whole wheat pasta. I make wok, lasagne, spaghetti, curry and so on. Don't let it fool you. Be creative!

Eat a whole foods plant based diet so eat oats, brown rice, potatoes, lentils, kidney beans, chickpeas! I eat a high carb low fat diet with 3600kcal and 170g of protein. I lowered my body fat percentage from 12% to below 8%.

Here's a typical day of eating for me while bulking with 170g of protein and 3600kcal.

Here's a typical day of eating while cutting with 120g of protein and 2000kcal.

Another typical day of eating while cutting with 94g of protein and 1500kcal.

Use cronometer to track calories.

According to this article you don't need to overkill on protein : https://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

There is normally no advantage to consuming more than 0.82g/lb (1.8g/kg) of protein per day to preserve or build muscle for natural trainees. This already includes a mark-up, since most research finds no more benefits after 0.64g/lb.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5867436/

Study from 2018, Protein supplementation beyond total protein intakes of 1.62 g/kg/day resulted in no further RET-induced gains in FFM. Credits AromaticLab7.

I'm 72kg and need max 120g of protein and min 100g of protein. When cutting I had a protein shake.

@andrewjrg85
I used to have a protein shake 60% brown rice and 40% pea to be as close to whey as possible but I just buy a blend now.

This is just the kind of thing I'm after - combining 2 plant protein sources to maximize amino acid balance... Thank you!

@emmalynx You don’t need to do that for each meal. If you simply eat enough of a variety of high protein foods throughout the day, such as legumes, soy, and whole grains, you’ll get all your EAAs by the time you’re done eating. No need to overcomplicate it.

@emmalynx It is actually about 65-70% pea and 30-35% rice to get the closest amino acid profile to whey.

Another metric you can use is to aim for 2-3 grams of leucine per meal, as this has been shown to maximize protein synthesis. This is super easy to track with Cronometer and using foods from the USDA/NCCDB databases. This does not mean that you have to do it every time, as there is more to muscle building than MPS, but it is a nice target to have in mind.