PPLUL Split.. Enough volume on all muscle groups?

Hi Guys,

I've been wanting change to a PPLUL split from PPLX2 due to not being able to go 6 days anymore..

Now I've been looking online but I can barely find anything about PPLUL.. and if I do it looks like low volume..

I tried making one with tiktok vids about JPGCoaching and RyanJewers advicing optimal training days for U/L/P/P/L..

Now I was curious if this is split up evenly and good volume for all muscle groups to train for hyperthrophy/bodybuilding..

Lower

Squats 3x5-6

RDL 3x8-12

Leg Press 3x8-12

Leg Curls 3x8-12

Leg Ext. 3x8-12

Rear Delt Row 3x8-12

Lateral Raises 3x8-12

Code:
21 sets

Upper

Incline DB press 3x8-12

Pec Dec Fly 3x8-12

T-Bar Row 3x6-10

Lat Pulldown 3x8-12

Y-Raises 3x12-15

Rope Pushdown 3x8-12

Seated Bicep Curl 3x8-12

Code:
21 sets

Lower

Squats 3x5-6

RDL 3x8-12

Leg Press 3x8-12

Leg Curls 3x8-12

Leg Ext. 3x8-12

Calf Raises 3x8-12

Code:
18 sets

Push

Flat DB Press 3x8-10

Incline DB Press 3x8-12

Pec Fly 3x8-12

DB Shoulder press 3x8-12

Lateral Raises 3x12-15

Rope pushdown 3x8-12

Y Raises 3x8-12

Code:
21 Sets

Pull

Pull Ups 3x 8+

Lat Pulldown 3x8-12

Seated Row 3x8-12

Str. arm Pulldown 3x8-12

Rear Delt Row 3x12-15

Hammer Curls 3x8-12

DB Curls 3x8-12

Code:
21 Sets

@onedayatatime549 Volume seems to be quite high, but if you are not a beginner you'll be okay. We have almost same structure of training. Just look at lower days as squats, rdl and leg press seems like overkill to me .

@mssurrendered1 Hey thanks for your reply!

Legs I was thinking of changing it up and making a quad and ham focused day instead.

What is in your opinion high volume? Is it on the lower days or the Upper/PP part?

Edit: Yeah, I used to do PPL with a bit more volume then this.. so now my mindset is kinda skewed where when I go lower in sets a week I feel like its low volume..

Never struggled with recovery as I have an office job and low stress.. Diet and sleep is in check so I didnt really struggle with recovery.. Did have a few small injuries here and there which seemed to go away after an extra day off.

@onedayatatime549 I am an advocate of quality over quantity and I know that if I really push myself to RIR 1-2 over my mesocycle I cannot do too much of a volume, so I rather keep it on the lower side.

12 sets of back on pull day is a lot by my standards but if you have good recovery I think its fine. Its always best to listen to your body.

@onedayatatime549 Man, idk about you but I've been lifting for 15+ years. Natty. Competed once. 34years old now.

18-21 sets is beyond my work capacity.

For me personally I can do about 10-12 hard sets with intensity. Once I get to 13-15 ish sets I notice mentally, physically, I'm spent. My weight is lowered, my intensity is lowered, my rest times need increased... Especially when you throw in Squats or Deads in the mix, man I need a solid 3min in-between hard sets.

If you could pull off this workout routine with appropriate intensity per set, appropriate cadence per rep, rest time per set, etc... Kudos to you and IMO you are an outlier human being.

This is ultimately what always drags me away from PPL or UL options, I just can't hit everything with enough volume. If I hit push day, trying to fit even a minimal 3 exercises for chest, 2 for delts, 1 for triceps... That's 18 sets. And frankly my delta and triceps always feel skimped.

Even worse on an Upper/Lower split.

If you wanna do something LIKE this I might encourage you to look into like an Upper/Lower split but then coupled with a 4 say "bodybuilding" split where you can get a little more volume on each muscle group.

FWIW I tried about 2 years ago doing a more complex routine.

Full Body, Rest, Upper, Lower, Rest, PPL, Rest, Bro Split, Rest repeat.

I felt good but ended up just being extremely fatigued.

I ended up removing the full body, and the PPL, hence my suggestion to you.

Try Upper/Lower, and mix with a BB/Bro split. You might like it.

And IMO try keeping volume closer to 15 sets per workout.

@onedayatatime549 Lower/Upper day - Maybe drop volume per muscle group but hit more muscle groups? 4 sets per group, then add 6 sets per group (3 + 3) in your PPL to give 10 working sets but more even distribution? Also reduces fatigue going with 1 day lower rest into second leg day.

Lower

4x set Calves (seated or straight leg calf raise)

4x set Quads (hack squat or leg extensions

4x set Hamstring (leg curls)

4x set Glute (RDL or hip thrust)

4x set Abductor (or not)

4x set Adductor (or not)

(16 - 24 sets)

Upper

4x Chest (Inc DB press or bench or pec dec)

4x Bicep (dumbell or barbell curls)

4x Tricep (rope pushdown or seated extension)

4x Shoulder (lateral raises or overhead press of some variation)

4x Back (Lat pulldown or seated low row or something else you like)

4x flex sets or don't add anything- rear delts or core work are good options, or forearms, traps. Whatever you want to add work to

(20 - 24 sets)

Legs

3 x 2 - Calves

3 x 2 - Quads

3 x 2 - Hamstring

3x Abductor (or not)

3x Adductor ( or not)

(18 - 24 sets)

Push

3 x 2 Tricep

3 x 2 Chest

3 x 2 Shoulders