Programming that is creative/has variety and keeps you interested?

emiles97

Hi everyone!

I have been into the gym in some way, shape or form for about 8-9 years, and I love weight lifting/CrossFit style training. I would say I am a higher end intermediate lifter - I am strong for my height and have been training for too long to see newbie gains anymore.

I used to follow programming like RP women’s physique, nSuns, GZCL, etc, and honestly did not mind following a program that had me doing the same exercises for weeks at a time. Unfortunately something changed in my brain, and I got over that style of training. I did CrossFit for a while - and loved the variety - but I ended up getting a decent home gym set up and stopped going to CF to save money.

More recently I have been enjoying doing Caroline Girvan’s programs, as I really enjoy how no two days are the same. I have completed her EPIC programs, Fuel, Beastmode and a few of the shorter 1 week programs like the kettlebell series, tempo week, etc.

I am now looking for something that incorporates more barbell work but isn’t monotonous. I don’t really have any aesthetic goals right now (although I do enjoy looking strong/having some definition), but am looking for something creative and has a lot of variety to prevent me getting bored. Of course I understand that progressive overload requires repetition, but I am hoping to find a program that gives me the opportunity to be excited and challenged by workouts each week.

If anyone has any suggestions, I’d love to hear them!

@emiles97 I've been doing the CrossFit programming by Mayhem in my garage gym. The variety of programming has been great for me. I get bored pretty easily. :) It's $20/mo and it includes several different scale levels, from Rx to bodyweight. I've got a pretty good setup at home and use the scaled option. My sister is doing the bodyweight/minimal option with some dumbbells and a kettlebell. They also have a 7-day trial.

@joeylanc I have an F45 near me - what are their workouts like? I've only heard of them by driving by them, but I initially didn't even realize it was a workout center.

@emiles97 Rise by Lauren and Jason Pak is great! The programming changes every 4 weeks and it has 2-4 days of workouts, depending on which option you choose. Each of the 4 days is different. It's a mix of mobility, power and strength. There's a barbell and non barbell option. I've been doing it for a few months, with an injury break in the middle.

@emiles97 I love BioLayne’s workout builder (Layne Norton). He has a ton of different programs to choose from and it’s easy to log the workouts/switch out movements if you’re not feeling a specific movement that day or don’t have the equipment for it. Only $12.99 a month as well which you just can’t beat

@sephsekla This is the one for me. The app is great and includes optional conditioning at the end as well. I started it in July of 2022 and increased my deadlift from 82kg to 131kg. Can't recommend it enough.