[Progress] Just accomplished a long-time powerlifting goal and calisthenics goal (405lb squat and Straddle FL row) @ 6'2" 205lbs

von20207777

Hey everyone, just wanted to share a major accomplishment I had last night. I hit a 405lb squat and got my first straddle front lever row in the same workout. Here's an instagram video of both (squat is the first video, row is the second):
Both could have been slightly cleaner, but I'm satisfied with the ROM and form on both given they were pretty maximal effort attempts.

I'll answer any questions about my training (~4 years, ~2.5 years bodyweight), but here's the general gist of the past few months.

I ran a DUP style program for about 7 months or so where I primarily worked on weighted chins, weighted dips, planche, and front lever. I got them up to 160lbs, 180lbs, a 19s tuck, and a 5s straddle respectively. I'm in a really rough semester of school now so I've switched to a slightly higher frequency because I can workout most days just for not as much time.

Currently my training is a bent-arm/straight-arm split. I've been focusing my bent-arm days on bench, FL rows, rope climbs, and handstand push-ups/dips and I try and hit 3 sets of 8-12 reps (a couple rope climbs for that) without failing on light days, and 4 sets of 3-6 reps on heavy days without failing (keeping away from failure has been huge in seeing progress, submaximal training has been key for me).

My straight-arm days have been focused on iron cross, planche, front-lever, and parallette handstands/presses. Light days I just try and get in 6-10s holds that are very manageable to become more comfortable in the position. On heavy days I try and do 3-4 sets of a dynamic straight arm exercise like spotted cross press, front-lever/back-lever pulls, and L-sit press to planche. I also do some conditioning for rings usually on heavy straight arm days like muscle-ups, dips, chins, RTO support, and skin-the-cat (so it's more of a 4-day light/heavy split if you want to be specific).

For legs training I just do a squat and deadlift session twice a week. One session will be heavy squat and a dead variation, the other will be a heavy dead and a squat variation. I haven't focused on either enough, but given that I'm about 18 weeks out from a powerlifting meet, that's going to change.

I'm also training for Head-To-Toe and middle splits as well now, so these next few months will be interesting in balancing that flexibility work with heavy legs training. I'm not worried though, the one thing I've learned about myself is that as long as I stay out of the max effort/failure range, I'll be fine.

feel free to ask any questions, sorry about the messy text schpeel