[Progress] M/36/5'11' - 136lbs > 175lbs - 2 Years of Progress, at Home Dumbbell Only Workouts

khadijahcarr

- before/middle/after photos. All the way to the right in the photo is the last 12 months of scale data (app only allows showing a maximum of 12 months worth of data).

There wasn't a full 24 straight months of working out. I had a few periods where I went off my routine/diet. When "on", I ate the same exact foods every single day, literally the same 6 meals every day (just in varying amounts as I needed to add calories as weight was gained) and followed the same workout routine. When "off" I did...nothing, and fell back into old habits of not eating nearly enough, and not working out at all. In the past 24 months there have been a total of 16 months of being "on" and 8 months of being "off". That isn't 8 months consecutive, but rather 3 months on, 1 month off, 5 months on, 2 months off, 1 month on, 3 months off and so on. I've taken notes for literally every single workout, so if you'd like the specifics I can go through the sheets and share the exact time periods.

Diet and routine below.

My goals:
  • To quote one of my favorite movies..."to look good naked" lol.
    • This one I think I've accomplished, am finally happy taking my shirt off
  • To stop getting comments like "when was the last time you've had a burger?", "You need to eat a good meal", "Can you handle that?" (when doing something like carrying a case of water or the like). Basically to just look good/in shape while wearing clothes.
    • I'm not quite there yet sadly...just saw my aunt recently who I haven't seen in years, and after the initial tears/hugs, she immediately said "there's nothing to you". I'm still wearing a small t-shirt, and it's tight in the sleeves and fills out the shoulders well enough (looks good imo), but it's still a small t-shirt lol. So, maybe another year and I'll actually look like I lift while wearing clothes.
Diet:

- That is a screenshot of my excel workbook for meals. I'll summarize below, but if you want the specifics, it's there. All calorie data is taken from the actual containers/packaging of the food I'm eating, not from an app or anything like that. I order the exact same brands/packages of food so I don't have to modify the sheet.

I literally eat the exact same meals every day, with a goal of a 300 calorie surplus. If I don't gain weight for 1.5 weeks, I up the calories by 300. I keep the meals exactly the same, but use the worksheet to "scale up" the calories by modifying the volume of certain foods. My favorite "modifiers" (as I call them) are oatmeal, eggs, nuts, whey protein and milk. They were the easiest to change while keeping my rough goal of a macro split at 40/20/40 (protein, fat, carbs).

If you don't want to open the sheet, my meals are as follows:
  • 5:30am - "pre workout" meal - 2 cups oatmeal, 1 scoop whey protein
  • 8:30am - "post workout" meal - 2 cups oatmeal, 2 eggs, 1 slice of bread, 2 cups milk, 1 scoop whey protein
  • 12:00pm - "lunch" meal - Salad with spinach, romaine, tomato, cucumber, red onion, 0.5 cup cottage cheese, 4ozs chicken breast (not seen on the sheet, but present in the formula)
  • 2:30pm - 2nd "post workout" meal - shake made with 1 cup mixed fruit (strawberries, blueberries, cherries, raspberries), 0.25 cups orange juice, 2 cups milk, 1 scoop of whey protein, 1 oz mixed nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews, macadamias, pistachios, hazlenuts, pecans)
  • 6:00pm - "Dinner" meal - 6oz of steak or chicken or pork or fish, 2 cups spinach, 4 oz sweet potato.
  • 9:00pm - "Before bed" meal - 1 scoop casein protein, 2 eggs
The above comes to 2,927 calories. 258 grams protein, 89 grams of fat, 273 grams of carbs.

Those meals were eaten every day, literally, with nothing added (butter, toppings, etc...if you don't see it on the sheet, it wasn't eaten or added to my meals).

Routine summary:

I workout twice per day. Once at 7am, once at 2pm. My routine is as follows (workout details below the summary):
  • Day 1: Chest, Legs (chest in the morning, legs in the afternoon)
  • Day 2: Back, Arms (back in the morning, arms in the afternoon)
  • Day 3: Shoulders, Abs (shoulders in the morning, abs in the afternoon)
  • Day 4: Rest (I either do nothing on the rest day, or spend 30-60 minutes doing light stretching/yoga...no set choice either way)
  • Start the process over again, and loop forever lol
My only equipment is adjustable dumbbells (ativafit, 71.5 lb dumbbells, starting at 11lbs and adjustable in roughly 5lb increments up to 71.5lbs), a collapsing adjustable weight bench, two 5lb dumbbells, two 10lb dumbells, a pull up bar and ten 1lb sandbags (for adding small increments of weight, as I can hold one or two of them and a dumbbell at the same time).

I'm not pushing much weight, as you can see...here are my last 3 months of chest workout not sheets: - you can zoom in and actually see the weights. Note the weights are per dumbbell and are in kilograms. Easiest way to convert kg to lbs is to multiply the number by two and add 10% (so 20kg would be 20x2 which is 40, then add 10% which is 44...so 20kg is 44lbs). It's only in kilograms because my adjustable weights, unfortunately, use kg markers instead of lb markers.

Routine details:

I'm following a self modified "beachbody" routine (Body Beast). I wanted to follow a doubles routine, and their program seemed like a pretty well laid out dumbbell only routine. So I took their routine, and instead of doing one workout per day, I just do two. Here are the specifics:

Chest (to be completed in 30 minutes):
  • Super set of
    • Incline fly - 15 reps, 12 reps, 8 reps, 8 reps (increasing weight each time)
    • Incline press - 15 reps, 12 reps, 8 reps, 8 reps (increasing weight each time, last set is dropset)
  • Force set (never let go of the weight, wait five seconds while holding the weight after each set of five reps) of
    • Flat chest press with rotation - 5 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps
  • Progressive set of:
    • Incline press - 15, 12, 8, 8, 12, 15 (increase weight after each set up to the first 8, then decrease the weight after each set after the second 8)
  • Combo set of:
    • Flat bench press to fly - 15, 12, 8 (increase weight each time)
Legs (to be completed in 41 minutes):
  • Front to back lunges (right and left leg separately) - 12, 10, 8
  • Progressive set
    • Squat - 15, 12, 8, 8, 12, 15
  • Force set
    • Full to 1/2 sumo squat - 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
  • Progressive set
    • split squat (right and left leg separately) - 15, 12, 8, 8, 12, 15
  • Super set of:
    • stiff leg deadlift - 15, 12, 8, 8
    • Alternating side squats: 15, 12, 8
  • Calf raises - 50 reps, repeated 2x
Back (to be completed in 30 minutes):
  • Superset of:
    • Dumbbell pullovers - 15, 12, 8, 8
    • Pullups - 10, 10, 10
  • Progressive set of
    • Reverse grip rows - 15, 12, 8, 8, 12, 15
  • Force set of
    • One arm rows (done separately for each arm) - 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
  • Deadlift - 15, 12, 8, 8
  • Superset of:
    • Reverse fly - 15, 12
    • Plank rotations (AMRAP in 30 seconds)
Arms (to be completed in 36 minutes):
  • Progressive set
    • Standing curls - 15, 12, 8, 8, 12, 15
  • Tricep extensions - 15, 12, 8, 8
  • Force set
    • Wide standing curls - 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
  • Skull crushers - 15, 12, 8, 8
  • Progressive set
    • hammer curls (right and left arm done separately) - 15, 12, 8, 8, 12, 15
  • Progressive set
    • tricep kickback (right and left arm done separately) - 15, 12, 8, 8, 12, 15
Shoulders (to be completed in 36 minutes):
  • Superset of
    • Lateral raise - 15, 12, 8,
    • Arnold press - 15, 12, 8, 8
  • Progressive set of
    • Upright rows - 15, 12, 8, 8, 12, 15
  • Superset of
    • Alternating front raise - 15, 12, 8
    • Plate twists (with db) - 15, 12, 8
  • Progressive set
    • Reverse flys (on bench, inclined) - 15, 12, 8, 8, 12, 15

@possy Thanks!! Definitely need consistency to get results. I’ve tried to gain size in the past and failed, a multitude of times, and the only difference this time was a very controlled and consistent effort on both the diet and lifting fronts.

@khadijahcarr Great to see an alternative way to workout yielding great results! I can only imagine just how much more progress you’d make with even more, heavier equipment. Looking great as you are now! 💪

@anthlee Thanks so much! As for the additional progress that could/would have been had, I have that same thought occasionally...and then I push it aside so as to not get too down on myself lol. I just hate the thought of going to a gym (for a variety of reasons), so I’ve just got to stick to what I’m doing, at least until it stops working...then I’ll have to suck it up and hit the gym haha

@dramatic444 I’d attribute it to two things. First, a smaller than average surplus. Usually people do a 500 calorie surplus, Im only going for 300. I have this figure pretty well calibrated, along with accurately modified (when needed) because I’m eating exactly the same meals every day. I also go 1.5 weeks at the same weight before upping calories. Whenever that happens, I’m presumably losing some fat (reflected in my scale data).

The second thing is that when I go “off” my plan and stop working out/eating correctly, while not a traditional “cut” (where you workout and eat at a deficit), it sort of functions as one. If I don’t actively force myself to eat, I’ll eat as little as one meal a day and not even notice (genuinely not on purpose, I consider eating to be a pain and a distraction lol). That said, because I also stop working out, I end up losing both fat and muscle. When I go back “on” the muscle comes back pretty quickly, and accompanied by the smaller surplus, I believe it has lead to “leaner” gains.

This is all a hypothesis, but given the controlled manner in which I’ve (tried) to go about things, I think it’s a pretty solid one.

@khadijahcarr Meticulously executed, I’m impressed. Personel, I’ve been doing 5/3/1 for the last six months. All my lifts have rocketed up along with my body fat. Will defiantly fun a smaller surplus after I get rid of all the excess fat..

Out or curiosity, and as you mentioned “on” and “off” Are you assisted or un-assisted ? Either way it’s impressive!!

@dramatic444 Thanks a bunch brother, initially it was very difficult, but it’s weird now because it really does fully turn into a habit. I come down in the morning and I’m basically sleepwalking to the cabinet and my body is pulling out the oatmeal and making my protein shake while I’m still barely conscious haha.

With regards to roids, definitely not lol. The “on” and “off” I’m referring to, in summary, is just in regards to when I was following my program during the past 24 months and when I wasn’t. During the past 24 months, 16 of them I was doing everything exactly as you’ve read it above, and 8 of them weren’t (for a variety of reasons). The 8 months weren’t consecutive, so I’m just summarizing as being “on” and “off”. More detailed description in the second paragraph in the OP.

Thanks again bro!!

@wirefire Trust me, that number frustrates the hell out me lol. I basically just use it as a benchmark for whether it’s trending up and down and try to ignore the actual figure itself...which is harder to do on some days more than others haha.

@wirefire Yeah, the BF measurements from scales suck, I feel your pain my friend haha. I’ve got an Amazon Halo and it uses photos and machine learning to estimate body fat and that says I’m at 16%, so like I said, I try to not pay attention to the number and focus on how much it’s changed (and how I look).

With regards to your kind words, my pleasure my friend, and thank you!!

My pleasure, and thanks!

@khadijahcarr You are more like 9-10,% BF. Scales are no where near accurate for assessing bodyfat.

If you got a Dexa scan or bodpod that would give you a number lower than 10% I'd bet money on.

@sh419ob Thanks for the guesstimate! Wish there was a bod pod/dexa near me, sadly, the closest one is about 45 minutes away and time investment-to-reward (getting an accurate number) just isn’t high enough for me to do it lol

Back