Progressing from double 16s to 24s for C+P

I started running DFW with two 16kg bells back in April. Did the 5 weeks, tested out with a 12 RM (neglected to check RM properly before the program), then went on a three-week trip where I did not exercise beyond walking a lot. Shortly after returning, I ran DFW for another 5 weeks with the 16s, but added 2-3 reps per set throughout. This past Sunday, I tested my RM and it was 15.

I have one 24kg bell that I have been using for swings for a long time, and today I figured I would try to assess my RM on the single arm press. I was humbled to see that I could only get two reps on my right side and couldn’t get a single one on my left side — it felt like I might actually injure myself trying.

If you were in my position, how would you proceed? My original hope had been to go from 16s to 24s by buying one more 24, but I’m now realizing how big a leap this is (at least for me). I had been avoiding the idea of buying double 20s as an intermediary solution since I’m in grad school with minimal disposable income, but maybe it’s necessary?

Are there any other options that might be viable? Should I switch to a higher volume C+P program like The Giant and try to alter it around my higher RM with the 16s, then see what I can manage with the 24 after that?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

@sweetcherryblossom I have found the 4kg jumps are really good for me. 8 kgs (really a 16kg diff with doubles) is A LOT. I would certainly consider the double 20s if you can afford it.

If you can’t afford it, you could run something like easy strength with push presses until you can strict press the 24kg.

@sweetcherryblossom Going straight from double 16s to double 24s is a huge jump.

The Giant is great, but the 16s may be a bit too light for you.

A 15RM would let you get more volume, which is great and would build a lot of work capacity, but I'm not sure how much it would carry over to the 24s.

One option is to take any press or clean & press program and use push press or jerk instead, as a bridge.

Alternatively, the following style of training can help you build strength with the 24:
  • Alternating EMOM
  • Push press the bell for 1 rep on the weaker side; the next minute press it for 1 rep on the stronger side. Repeat for 5 reps each side.
  • So each minute would be 1R, 1L, 1R, 1L, 1R, 1L, 1R, 1L, 1R, 1L
  • That's a total of 10 minutes with 5 reps each side
  • Each time you do the workout, extend it by 1-2 reps each side, until you get to 30
  • Once you get to 30 reps, start doing it in less round. For example: 2R, 2L, 1R, 1L, ... until 15 reps/side
  • Once you're doing sets of 2 all the way, start turning it into sets of 3; or start strict pressing singles
You can use this as heavy work, with The Giant being more of a conditioning workout; so if you're doing The Giant with 2x16 Monday/Wednesday/Friday, do this Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday.

@mir2017lma Agree with this. Push presses got me from 2x16 to 2x24.

Ran the Giant 3.0 thrice, once with all push presses, then a mix, then with strict press only by which time my rep max was up to 6.

@sweetcherryblossom For me going from single 24 KG kettlebell work with a 10 RM to double 20 KG was perfect. Double 20 KG are not light at all if you work with double 16s and you would be working with them for a long long time before you think that they are light in my opinion.

@sweetcherryblossom I progressed by using offset weight. So, first 2x16, then when that felt easy, I went to 16/20, then bumped up to 20/24, then finally 2x24. The offset weight feels a little weird, but you get used to it quickly, just make sure to switch hands after each set to work both sides equally. Also, the push press is a great way to start working with weight that you can control, but is a little too heavy to strict press.

@sweetcherryblossom Yup, that’s exactly what I did, and was able to get a lot of mileage out of that 20kg before needing another bell. I eventually bought an adjustable 12-32kg and would highly recommend that when it’s in the budget.

@sweetcherryblossom Buying a pair of 20s would be a good shout. If you'd rather not you can get some good value out of push presses and jerks with heavier bells to build up comfort with the heavier weight.

I have gone from from.being unable to press the 32 to being able to grind out a few ugly reps by running a four weeks block of jerks followed by a four week block of push presses.

If you can press the 16s for 15 reps I imagine you're muscular enough to press the 24 but you need neuromuscular adaptation to be strong enough to actually press.

It comes down to whatever method you're more.comfortable with and how much money you have for new bells

@sweetcherryblossom Push press is great. Here's something elle that will help,
provided you do it in volume: TGU. Enough TGUs will make your shoulder stable enough to deal with the load that you cant press overhead. Sets of cleans with double 24s will also teach you how to star solid. Big part of the press is full body tension.