Progression and Bell purchase ?

@blessed1ofhis If you can afford it the adjustable kettlebells are a good value. You're not going to want to change the weight mid workout but if you know you're going to be working your way up it would be safer than trying to strap dumbbells to your existing kettlebell

@blessed1ofhis
How quickly with regular training can one expect to progress?

How long is a piece of string? I went from finding 16kg awkward to pressing a 32kg in less than a year, and 40 and 48 took another year each to press - but you may progress at a vastly different rate.

The flexibility of 12-32kg adjustables makes them the better option under almost all circumstances, and allows you to hit the in-between weights.

@blessed1ofhis My thoughts on gear : Honestly I would recommend to almost anyone to buy the adjustable bells unless they aer one of those people who are like "I'm always just going to use a single weight bell and don't care to do more."

For someone who expects and intends to move up in weight (especially for guys, who tend to be buying heavier and thus more expensive bells), by the time you've bought 3-4 retail bells, you could have gotten one of the adjustable bells instead and saved a lot of floor space and gotten way more adjustability.

As for number of bells...to me that depends on what program(s) you choose.

I just finished and am doing another of Geoff Neupert's programs, both of which expect and work best with dual bells. So, between dual-bell programs and also just having the feeling that I may occasionally want one bell at one weight and another bell at a different weight *within the same workout*, I bought two BoS adjustables and couldn't be happier with them. Great product, and honestly ~$500USD isn't so bad for two highly adjustable, high quality kettlebells.

@jimmy22x Thanks. That seems like sound advice. I was leaning this way. Since the cost isn’t much more to do the add on 13kgs I may start with the 12-20 set at $359 and if I push past 20.5 KG I’ll add the 13kgs sets later.

I’ll still be curious what others’ input is before I plunk down the cash.

@jimmy22x I have the 2 BOS adjustables, I have also been getting a single bell of each weight as I move up, then I can have one adjustable set a little heavier for swings or if I want to be humbled. I view it as my “conquered” collection.

@josephhayes Yeah, that's another way to go, I suppose. Before buying my dual BoS bells, I already had pairs of comp 16s, 20s, and 24s, plus a single 32 along with singles of standard bells at 16, 24, and 32. My thinking is that I'll probably sell off nearly all of those within the next few months, in order to recover a few bucks plus all of the spaces that they consume. We'll see though. Hard to say.

@dawn16 No, not most of my life. Got relatively fit late in life in my late thirties. (Achieved a 70lb weight loss in my early 20’s when I started working in EMS as a Paramedic full time after college, but that other than mountain biking was my only form of training) I’ve never achieved the gains I’ve desired. But I’m not giving up till I’m dead!

@blessed1ofhis Honestly, so long as you have a 225lb deadlift, a bench at 200 or higher, and can do 5 dead hang pullups. I'd say start with a 16kg and a 24kg kettlebell.
Kettlebells are all about endurance and ballistics. If you start with a decent strength base and focus on technique, you will see gains quickly.

@dawn16 Ummm…no where close to any one of those benchmarks. I have a ways to go. I dream of those numbers and the gains to look at in the mirror along with them.

@dawn16 I’m using a 30lb (13kg) now and ready to move up very soon. (I thought the 30 my friend lent me was 14kg equivalent in my OP. I did the math wrong) my presses will take a few more weeks to move up.

Another user above recommended that book. I guess I need to read it!

Back