Protein shakes per day?

nickaustin

I’m trying f to get my nutrition right, starting with protein and total daily calories, before focusing more on how to improve my workouts.

I’ve always just worked out on and off and at times sort of track daily calories… I don’t think I’ve ever had the proper protein intake.

So I’ve researched protein shakes and picked up what I think it’s a good one that has 25 grams protein per serving.

Do people consume multiple servings per day to reach the daily protein goal?

I’m just under 6’ and around 205 right now, probably in the 25% fat range since having kids and being a bit lazy over the past few years. I think I’m aiming for 160-180 grams of protein per day.

@nickaustin I have two. I’m a teacher so getting regular protein throughout the day usually requires me to have some shakes during breaks in classes. I usually have 3 meals with ~40g and two shakes of ~30g to get my intake comfortably.

Sure; I would prefer to eat food but it’s a matter of convenience.

@lanam Ditto. Vanilla protein power with plain 0%fat greek yogurt = bomb

Mix in a splash of milk to thin it out, jelly/stevia to sweeten :)

This is usually my preferred bedtime meal.

@nickaustin I use it for efficiency but make an effort to avoid when possible. When cutting they are essential for me as the calorie to protein ratio is unmatchable. I can drink anywhere from 2-4 scoops a day then. In a bulk I can usually hit my protein goals without shakes due to the caloric excess.

@nickaustin 1 serving a day mixed in my coffee. I am for .7g per lb BW a day, I am 150lbs-so more is not necessary since i’d rather eat my protein than drink it.

@nickaustin I sometimes have 2, but I make sure I get at least one in... anywhere from 50-80gs. If I can at least get that in, I can usually hit my target protein through the rest of my meals.

@nickaustin I consume zero protein shakes per day. It’s a great way to hit your protein goals if you’re having trouble otherwise, but shakes are totally unnecessary. Personally, I prefer whole foods as it’s more satiating.

@nickaustin I mix vegan protein powder with real oatmeal, some cinnamon and a little honey. Sometimes I add chia seeds too. Your going to have to eat. Protein shakes are good, but should’ve an alternative or not a primary meal, unless your eating 6 small meals a day.

@nickaustin I personally have 3 scoops a day. One In my morning oats, and two in my protein shake. Both my oats and shake also contain about 1/3-1/2 a cup of Greek yogurt which also increases the protein amount. The rest of the days protein is filled with egg/ egg whites and fish. I’m 155lbs, and regularly get in 180-200g protein daily.

@knivesrme I know people disagree about this but that means you’re getting like a 70g protein shake, and I’m not sure your body can really even utilize so much at once. You might just be wasting a whole scoop each time, especially given you’re 155 lbs.

@neshemah Theres no evidence at all that says youre wasting your protein, infact, the body can take all the protein and as much as you give it per day. So as long as youre consuming protein your body will digest it.

@arctangent This is not true, there is absolutely literature that shows there’s a cap on how much protein a person can synthesize per mean for muscle growth, especially where the method for ingesting that protein is via whey protein shake. Here is Mike Isreatel explaining the literature:
. For further support, this guy is 155lbs and the vast majority of the studies establishing a cap on the amount you can synthesize per meal is on guys who are roughly that weight. The limit Mike says an 150lb male can ingest at once is 37g (that goes up if you’re ingesting it via a complex meal with other fats and carbs - but this guy said he’s ingesting it through a protein shake).

@arctangent Digest, yes. But the excess - which in this case will definitely not be insignificant, will simply move on through. Your body will more than happily break down all that excess protein - but won’t need to use it. It will just add to your weekly sewerage…

Back