Q about using rep x weight to track progress- how to apply this math to complex movements

paulnolivia

As a rough way to measure my progress and grade workouts, I’ve been taking my workout log and adding up the number of movements I do and times it by the amount weight used.

The math is simple with single movements, eg if I do 10 swings with 16kg = 160 kg of work per set.

Most of my workouts involve a complex like a clean to reverse lunge to thruster and I’m wondering if I should consider it one movement or take the component movements and multiply it by the weight used,

So the complex described above is 3 movements, a clean, a lunge, then coming up to a press, so a single complex becomes 3x16=48kg/movement.

Is this a good approach or is it like putting my thumb on the scale?

@paulnolivia If it helps you stay consistent that's a good thing.

The downside is that it biases light weights.

As an extreme example, every now and then I'll do 300 presses each side with a 16 if I want some light recovery work. On a heavy day I may do a total of 10 presses each side with a 48. The light presses are 10 times the tonnage.

One solution could be to track tonnage at the same weights, but you could just as well count total reps at a given weight.

@paulnolivia I think if you’re going to track tonnage you can go two ways:
  1. Use it for strength work.
  2. Use it for conditioning but keep a time cap. So if it’s always 30 minutes then you can track progress by moving more weight in a certain time frame.