Question from a russian dude

@sk213 One kettlebell simply became to easy. The tables needed to be turned somewhere along the line. Either get stronger and keep up with the new generation or get left behind is basically how the fitness industry is right now.

@prayingkelly Ah asked a comment above! :) That now I am interested! I'm on 32kg and do basically only basics, all with one arm and feel that honestly I'm pushing my limits. Would it have benefits to lets say have 2 24kg or even 16kg?

@sk213 First I’ll say is if you don’t plan on competing or doing any influence work such as most of us folk on here, doubles aren’t really worth the hassle learning. A double swing is significantly more difficult and I would recommend perfecting light weight first. Simple break down to think about. If you have two 12 kg in each hand, you’re essentially swinging a 24kilo cut in half. So I would start there to learn and then progress to double 16kg, 20kg, 24kg, 32kg. I haven’t been above 32kg yet in doubles. I Need to get stronger 😀

@prayingkelly Every time I try to picture myself swinging two even 16kg kettlebells I see my knees crushed to pieces as I am really not sure that they both fit in between my legs. Still thinking about trying though.

@sk213 Stance will for sure have to be wider. Not meant for everybody, kinda like the pistol squat. I know guys that can goblet a 200lb kettlebell but halter under their own one legged squat, vice versa. Fun as shit when mastered though. Just Cant overthink it. Kettlebells are 80% technique 20% strength in MY opinion.

@sk213 It is funny to see the difference between someone who had to learn something in school versus people who passionately take up something unfamiliar to them as adults.

@ses20042002 to be honest, our trainer had a pack of cigarettes falling from his jacket's front pocket, when he was showing how to do swings, sooooo i am far from "learned in school" in a proper sense, but maybe it is exactly what soviet kettlebell school was. weird times :)

@deandrade I don’t think kettlebells were as popular after the collapse of the Soviet Union. Usually, it was grandpa’s kettlebell, solid steel from the 1970s or earlier. In the 1980s, kettlebells were still in vogue, but their popularity was fading. I vividly remember military men (service was mandatory for every male) flexing their muscles doing clean and press with a 32kg kettlebell when I was a kid.

However, as the economy went downhill, so did kettlebell sport. The rock bottom was in the 1990s, when Russia became capitalist and a bottle of vodka became the favorite sports equipment for many Russians. Only gangsters were into sports, and kettlebells were part of boxing training (most of the goons were “hired” in gyms, primarily boxing ones). The most popular Russian movie from the 1990s, Brat (Brother), has a scene where the main character is doing kettlebell swings on his balcony. It’s a gangster movie (a very good one, actually).

And in the 2000s, the Soviet fitness school was sort of completely lost. The economy got better and regular people started going to gyms, but the training was largely influenced by American movies.

But that’s all my personal impression and probably highly opinionated. I’m pushing 40 (years old, not kg kettlebell, sadly :) ) just for the time/generation reference.

@sk213 Thanks for sharing. This is really cool information.

Hope it becomes more popular overall and Russia can get back to a good spot from a politics perspective.

Back