Reps dropped first time using Versa Gripps?

ecs867

Last week I felt one of my straps start to give way. Before it could rip on my during a lift I ordered a pair of Versa Gripps Pro after seeing Dr. Mike shill them, seeing Sean N comment on how great they are, and even Will Tennyson using them without even mentioning them (which I take it to mean he actually gets good results with them). Today was my first day using them and while I could do the same weight, things like my RDL reps dropped from last week. Maybe I need a deload but what I’ve noticed in the switch is I must’ve allowed myself some slack in the straps rather than really gripping with my palms and that allowed me a few extra reps? I’m trying for hypertrophy so if reps drop at first for better technique and therefore better muscle building, I’m okay with that. I’m more curious if this has happened with anyone else.

@dreuter032003 Could be very true. I also wore gloves with the straps around the wrist, whereas the Versas go right on my wrist, bare-handed, and that could change a bit as well.

@ecs867 You say that your reps dropped the very first time you used them? And not even on all exercises? Seems pretty normal to go through an adjustment period when you try something new and not a cause for concern.

@itrm Yeah, just barbell RDLs. It’s not a perfect science because I increased my barbell row weight from last week so of course I got less reps in those sets, but the RDLs stayed the same weight, but maybe 2/3 of the reps.

@ecs867 Yah, strongman trick is to have the straps held in your fingertips which cuts the range of motion by 2-3 inches. If you're gripping tighter, that'll be a difference. But honestly, probably just have to get used to them. Grip is a big indicator to your body of stability (try grabbing the bar as tight as possible during OHP and watch your reps explode), and if your grip is different your body may just need to get used to it.

Back