Resources for learning muscle anatomy for bodybuilding? - “this muscle needs to be hit from X and Y angle”

cybernetic

Trying to get a bit better at knowing exactly what movements each muscle needs for robust and whole growth. Like how you need more than a hip hinge for hamstrings, you need a leg curl. Or how there’s different heads of the tricep. Anyone got any good videos, etc?

Historically I haven’t thought much about this other than separating upper and middle/lower chest and hitting everything else with whatever just generally targets the muscle.

Thanks! :)

@cybernetic If you’re actually interested in learning, that’s great and you should explore it.

But if you’re doing it to make things more optimal, which is what it sounds like when you’re talking about targeting specific heads and fibers, I think that can quickly lead to overthinking things and that’s where those “optimal” influencers trick people into thinking it’s way more important than it is.

@haroldgreen This. While you can bias certain parts of a muscle, it is important to remember that you’re still always working the entire muscle. If we spent time trying to bias every freaking part of every single muscle, we’d have to live in the gym…..

@haroldgreen Maaan great that you address that. I see people lifting for like couple months and they saw some back exercise targeting specific insertion of the lats, rather to learn and try to do 1 pull up or something that is waaaay more productive. Am I right. It became which is the best exercise rather to just lift (in balance case, not in bro way tho, but with high fckn efforts)

@dymesgirl Absolutely true about John Meadows channel. A huge amount of information there.

I would also add early Renaissance Periodization videos, the ones they were doing about 3-4 years ago. RP has put out tons of great information over the years, and at this point it's almost all the information you need:

@cybernetic I’ve learned a lot from the likes of podcasts such as The Iron Cult and Stronger By Science. For YouTube, guys like Jeff Nippard and Renaissance Periodization are great.

If you have the ability and really want to learn, I’d 100% recommend taking a few online classes or even just getting a few pieces of educational literature. A few kinesiology, anatomy, and physiology classes or books can help you understand so much more about not only the muscles themselves but exactly how they function.

@cybernetic Have you considered working with a Personal Trainer? Or even better, becoming a certified trainer just for the sake of learning? There are many programs available online for decent prices. My certificarion was from ISSA, and learned quite a bit along the lines of your inquiry.

Along the free route, YouTube is amazing. Jeff Nippard is a great resource

I enjoyed the book, "Men's health Power Training", by Coach Dos.

@vinod367 Take a look at ISSA's website. International Sport Science Association. They'll give the specifics. Can be done at home. issaonline . com

There are a bunch of options, so see if one speaks to you. I took the CFT: Certified Fitness Trainer. I was required to build a program for a client as part of the final evaluation for the certification. I utilized my wife as the guinea pig. ;) They then review the evaluation and provided graded responses. Very informative. The workout plan and evaluation final exam probably took me a total of 24 hours to build and respond to questions.