Rhonda Rousey: her weigh-in weight vs her fight weight - a visual (x-post r/pics)

@lauriane13 Those last 72 hours it's limited. Day of weigh ins it's usually just lil sips after I check my weight and if I'm under, Day before is 1L, two days before is 2L

Fairly bad. A lot of it is mental though. I've noticed when I travel and cut by myself, it doesn't seem near as bad as when I travel with my teammates who often complain for what seems like the whole time

@dawn16 That's so interesting! What do you eat on a low carb,high protein, high fat, low sodium diet? Seems like you'd be pretty limited in what you can eat.

@kunana If I need to lose 10+lbs, a majority of that is going to come from water. A pound of fat is 3500 cal. If I tried to lose all 10+ from fat in a week, life would be miserable. It makes more sense to fuel my body and work to sweat. The low carbs and low sodium is because carbs and sodium hold onto water, but I keep the protein and fat to keep up my energy and strength. I only start heavily restricting the amount I eat in the last 48 hours, but I still eat something

@megannovybaker The rules state that she has to be at 135 by 24 hours before her fight. The rules don't say anything about what she has to weigh when she steps into the ring. If she can gain 15 lbs in that 24 hrs, she's not breaking any rules. She made her weight by the weigh in time.

@megannovybaker In almost every combat sport out there weight class weigh ins work like this. Highschool wrestler and BJJ for regular people works similar to this, even if weigh ins are right before. People cut a ton of waterweight.

@megannovybaker The point for having weigh ins a few days before they fight is that it take SO much money to advertise and market a fight. Say a fighter is weighed 5 minutes before a fight and is determined to be a higher weight class due to water/bulking.. they would have to cancel the fight.

@dawn16 actually not the only reason. it was intitially done because fighters weren't recovering in enough time before the fight when it was done only hours before. fighters were becoming severely ill or even dying because they couldn't rehydrate enough and so, for safety concerns the weigh-in was moved to the previous day.

@jduck1986 She's only 135 for a few hours, I believe she walks around at 150. If you see lots of weigh ins, right after they are done they are drinking water like crazy.

It's the nature of the sport. The more you can cut, the bigger you can walk in at and be the bigger fighter. There's a few fighters that don't cut and you can tell as they are often shorter and tiny in comparison. It's totally rough on your body, there's fighters who have destroyed their kidneys with cutting weight and can never do it again. It is also mentally tough too, I've seen guys breakdown. There are men who cut 30lbs+ in MMA and wrestling.

@hansels I hear they're banning the use of IV's to rehydrate. I bet we'll be seeing rhonda and other fighters look far more like their weigh-in selves on fight night.

I think the IV ban is to prevent blood doping (which I imagine is rampant).

Back