Rhonda Rousey: her weigh-in weight vs her fight weight - a visual (x-post r/pics)

@fishbowl3 I'm pretty sure that, for weigh-ins, fighters and bodybuilders and such really starve/dehydrate themselves to get those numbers, though. What they're doing really can't and shouldn't be maintained.

@bringmeback They do that though to cut weight very very quickly. The physique on the left is absolutely maintainable and not unhealthy, it's just the route to get there quickly that isn't a good idea.

I'd say the most salient points here are that a) peak fighting shape for a top athlete looks like the woman on the right and b) fighters take some pretty drastic and unhealthy measures to cut down before a weigh-in.

@bringmeback Thats only because they're yo-yoing. Its absolutely true that drastic cuts for quick results arent realistic.

But dropping that weight slowly in sustainable ways are possible for some people.

She's on the record its not a realistic weight for her. Her weight isnt realistic for a lot of people. Listen to your body.

@fishbowl3 Right, it can absolutely be maintained. It's true for most sports involving weigh-ins that typically competitors will put on some weight afterwards, which almost makes the actual weighing seem irrelevant. If she wanted to she could stay under 140 but it isn't conducive to her fighting style, she's an a incredible grappler and she dominates largely because of her strength.

@nesterg When I rowed competitively we had to weigh in 3 hours before racing. Not enough time to rehydrate - lots of crews dehydrated themselves and it really affected their performances. I never did but I definitely sacrificed some strength to stay at weight. It's a tough call where you're in that situation. I personally see very little point in weigh ins that happen more than a few hours before the actual event.

@love2fly this very thing is why weigh-ins for fights were moved to the day before - to give fighters time to rehydrate before a fight which they were struggling to do in the short time there had been between weigh-in and fight which used to be only a few hours. its was considered too dangerous and so the weigh-in was moved but it has actually led to it potentially being even worse and abused

Back