Risk v reward

@ttcmacro 50 here and stopped deadlifting a couple of years ago at just over 200kg. Still squatting over that and no more minor back pains. I'm not ever planning to enter a power lifting comp. I enjoy my gym time so my risk vs reward reflects that.

I do focus on fewer reps though. I find it easier to focus on form properly in 3 heavy lifts where I might lose focus at the end of 10.

I will add that knee wraps have been a big help in weight and volume and knees feel great after.

@ttcmacro Unless a PT or doctor tell you not to, I think doing some form of squat and deadlift that suits your anatomy and goals is pretty important. Plus, having the ability to hinge and squat seems like it would be beneficial as you age. Start light and don't go too heavy and you'll probably be fine

@ttcmacro You don't ' need' them, leg press and back extensions and the like are largely equivalent. What you lose though is the core and support musculature that gets worked with this compound lifts. I still do deadlifts but at lower weights and for reps to maintain posterior chain strength, very hard to beat, just be sensitive to form

@ttcmacro Almost 30

I’ve been jumping out of planes for the past 10 years in the army and have never had a back injury and I owe that to deadlifting and squatting

Hell, I tore the mcl’s in both knees from doing sports. And heavy deadlifting and squatting were both movements my sports physio had me keep doing and they improved my recovery tremendously

@ttcmacro Deadlifts no. Squats yes.

The thing with deadlifts is that as the weight gets heavy, form inevitably suffers. And this means shearing stress on the spine. For some transparency, I deadlifted heavy ..got up to 450 at age 55 and body weight of 150,..I now have chronic lower back pain. My form was never perfect....and that is the result.

But....if you have access to a hex bar, then deads are definitely worth it.

@ttcmacro I had a herniated disc resulting in pretty bad sciatic nerve pain in my back from a combination of degradation of time and squating the same weight I thought I could after avoiding the gym for 3-4 months. Which led to even more time off. Absolutely horrible pain. I’ve been back at the gym 5-6 times a week now for about 9 months and only just incorporated squats again but very lightly about a month ago. Still get super anxious about my back but just read yesterday that hip flexor exercises are really good for strengthening the lower back/glute area so going to start incorporating that and see how I go!

Lifting heavier to actually reach hypertrophy in everything except the squat about 3 months ago and it’s going well!

I’m 36 by the way, in the best shape of my life tbh, it’s almost like the injury was a reset and a hard look at the way I was doing things in regard to diet, gym and recovery.

@ttcmacro Right now, I’m “working up to” deadlifts and squats with a coach. doing them is the ideal, but even “going light” is too high risk for me - no lifting experience, recovering from serious chronic health issue, bad knee, lots of extra weight on the belly.

Right now it’s a lot of work on the muscles supporting my knee, and a lot of exercises that get me stable in a squat position. Gorilla kettlebell rows. The v squat machine with very low weight so I can get more confident going deeper and use other muscles to get me out. Leg presses, extensions, and hamstring curls. Lunges. You know the drill.

When I put weight on a barbell next, I’ll hopefully have more confidence and strength in my weak points, so I can focus on my back position.

Good luck out there! We got this.

@ttcmacro I'm a 38m. My back gave out eight years ago. Doc said my back spasms a lot and it pushed one if my spinal segments to the side. He recommended I workout so I secure the spine in place by surrounding it with muscle.

I will say this it is DEFINITELY worth it. We people with back problems are the main ones who need to be more careful when doing deadlifts and squats. But once we have it down and it becomes second nature to us you can really feel the difference.

@ttcmacro Don't need to do anything! Id start with things in you are comfortable with and build strength from the core outward. Slowly incorporate some variations of squats if you're comfortable with those....goblet squats, b stance squats, paloff presses. Then begin with low level hip hinges...hip bridges, single leg bridges, lying clamshells. You don't have to do anything but if you want to progress your way back to doing them you can! Just be smart about it and build your base back up. It's hard to avoid those movements in real life, so it's important to work your way into some variations of them in time. You don't NEED to use a barbell to get stronger. Just take your time, and listen to what your body gives you! Good luck!

@ttcmacro I'm in my 40s and at my gym we have a group of masters (ie 40+) olympic weightlifters. Some have been lifting since they were younger, some started as masters. We all squat. Makes us stronger. We all do pulls/deadlifts too. Would be silly to skip them.

There are other ways to strengthen your back, hips, and legs, so if you have favorite exercises that aren't squats, enjoy. But I certainly wouldn't skip strengthening your back and legs. Squats and deadlifts are great tools to do that. The reward is far greater than the risk IMO.

@ttcmacro I'm 47 and I don't do them anymore.

I work my back, core, butt and legs in other ways. Yeah, it's probably more efficient to do the squat and deadlift, but the risk outweighs the reward, imo, when there are passable alternatives. I also don't do any type of row that isn't chest-supported anymore.

The way I see it, I'm already stronger, healthier, and in better shape than most guys at my age and weight. I'm not competing in any athletic or bodybuilding sports, so I don't feel the need to take that risk. I'd rather do leg press, roman chair extensions, and the like, and know that I won't be stuck on the couch in pain for the rest of the week. It's worked for me so far. I've had two herniated discs in my lower back that used to bother me periodically. I've had zero problems in 2 years with my current routine.

There's nothing wrong with doing those lifts if you're able. Try it if you want to. Start light and see how it feels.

@ttcmacro Injuries are due to bad form and ego loading

You don’t have to go 80%+ to get the benefits from both.

The stench alone from ATG squats just sitting in it has benefits

How many of those guys talking out their ass actually squatted before ? Because I’ve met a lot of older guys at the Y who doom and gloom everything then you ask long they’ve trained for and the common response I get is “well a couple months my doctor said I needed to do something”.

I look at some of them and I’m alarmed at how broken they look in their 60s 70s. My dad’s 62 and still powerlifts while looking late 40s my grand is 84 and still golfs (walks all 18 holes and does 50 crunches and pushups everyday) and you know what’s common amoung all the broken down guys I talk to. They all wished they lifted earlier in life.

Deadlift and squat will over time add bone density, and strengthen you as you age and that’s not even included the benefits to hormones and cortisol reduction lifting has over time.

If someone doesn’t lift like they know what they’re talking about chances are they don’t know shit and just want validation

You don’t have to but anything you can do to create adequate stimulation will give you nothing but benefits for the long run

Like i said hammer your form and load pro wrong without your ego and the benefits are endless

Back