Rite of Passage with low ceiling?

alioboube

How could I best adapt the Rite of Passage program for a low ceiling room? I know I could go outside, and sometimes I will, but in the cold winter month it would be nice to have options for staying indoors.

I'm thinking of replacing C+P/MP with z-press, sod press and some regular cleans. I don't currently have access to more kettlebells with the same weight, so I'd prefer things I can do with single or odd-load exercise. For the pull part I'll just stick to swings.

Am I missing out on anything with this approach?

@alioboube Your ideas are good solutions but I personally would do it differently. I speak from experience when I say that the z-press is a great exercise that sucks to do with kettlebells for one reason only; you won't be able to pick them off the ground while seated so you'll have to squat down into a z-press from a clean. This is very tedious to do for a lot of sets.

The Zot press is good but is better used as a complementary exercise since it is even more tedious and hard to press from (for the wrong reasons) than the z-press is.

I would opt for seated pressing. Clean -> sit -> press. I would recommend any type of seat that has no back so you don't lean against anything. This should have better carryover to standing.

@7wishes Fantastic! I'll go with that then. This might be a dump question, but do I need to squat up and do a clean for each rep in the beginning (edit: like Pavel tells you to do, I believe), or can I just clean once for each set?

@alioboube It's up to you, recleaning is going to be hard when you're pressing seated. If you can stick to recleaning after each rep then do so, the next best thing would probably be to the presses first and then match the number of cleans after.

@alioboube I would highly recommend the half-kneeling press. You can do a kind of clean when you’re already in the half kneel, or you can do a normal standing clean, then lunge down.

@alioboube Yes, exactly! Dan John has nothing but good things to say about them, and my personal experience has been great. Glad that was useful to you!

Back