Running plan for 8.5mile run?

keepitsimple144

Hey all. I’m not sure I’m asking in the right place but I’d love some advice.

Can anyone suggest a running plan to build up the stamina for an 8.5 mile run at the start of June? Or suggest somewhere I could find some guidance on creating my own? I’m not a runner at all - I can run 5km in approx 30mins but I don’t run often because I don’t enjoy it. I’d like to be able to run most of the race if possible though. I’d like to only run 1-2x a week max really, especially at the moment while the weather is cold and evenings are dark early in the UK, but also because there are other forms of exercise I enjoy more that I’d still like to take part in when I have free time too.

Context: I lost my fiancé in a car accident at the end of December just a week before we were due to get married. He was a keen runner. Myself and some of his friends would like to honour him, so we’re signing up for a fun run later this year. So I’m clueless on where to start, but it would make me so proud to have been able to run it for him. ❤️ (I.e. comments saying “don’t run if you don’t enjoy it” won’t be that helpful because there’s a bigger meaning here for me!)

Edited to add: I have looked online and there’s lots of 8/12 week plans for building up to running say 10 miles, but they all seem to include 4+ runs per week which just isn’t sustainable for me. Hopefully I’m not being too unrealistic?!

@keepitsimple144 First and foremost, I’m sorry for the pain you have endured. This is such a beautiful way to honor your loved one 💙

I too have recently started a running journey, applying the feedback on my own without a coach had been rather difficult. I sought out a friend of mine who’d won the Air Force Marathon back in 2018, as I wanted to reach out to someone with experience and training. Turns out him and his wife run a coaching website (tailoredstrides.com). They are a military family currently stationed overseas who run the coaching through the Strava app. It’s a great program and has helped me tremendously!! Before you sign up they send you a questionnaire that helps them build a program specific to you and your goals. I recommend checking them out if you find building your own program to be difficult. Best of luck on your journey 🥰

@keepitsimple144 The Nike Run Club app is free and has guided plans to help you build to certain goals (5k, 10k, 1/2 marathon, marathon, etc). I personally love it, especially the guided runs. I strength train, but I'm trying to teach myself to enjoy (tolerate?) running, and the constant voice talking to me helps. I'm currently using it to train for a 1/2 marathon. It recommends 5 runs per week, but I'm only doing 3 and feel fine- one speed interval/tempo run, one recovery easy run, and one long run.

@keepitsimple144 I'm sorry to hear about your loss, and I understand the motivation behind your goal. Here's a basic plan that you can follow:
  1. Start by increasing your running distance gradually, but no more than 10% per week.
  2. Alternate between running and walking during your runs, gradually increasing the running and decreasing the walking time.
  3. Try to run at least 3-4 times per week, even if it's only for 20-30 minutes.
On non-running days, focus on strength and flexibility training, such as bodyweight exercises, yoga, or pilates.
  1. As you get closer to your goal race, incorporate some speed work, such as intervals, to build up your endurance.
  2. Remember to listen to your body and make adjustments as needed, and don't forget to rest and recover adequately.
  3. I would suggest consulting with a running coach or a sport physician if you have any health concerns. A professional can help you create a personalized plan and ensure that you're training safely.

@keepitsimple144 Try a Hal Higdon 10k plan. He has you run 3x a week, tues/Thurs long run on Sat. It's very doable especially if you can already run 5k in 30 min. The weekday runs will be about 2-3 miles max, so under 30 min for you.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope that you do find some joy in running or at least training. Running was my pandemic hobby, and I had no idea how much I needed it until I started. I hope you find something that brings you peace like that. Good luck!

Edit: if you can run 10k (6.2 miles) you should be able to do a 8.5 mile, you'd just need to slow down a bit. Or as others have said, Trai for a 10 miler and just cut your training short at 8-9 miles

@doubtfulguy Thanks for commenting! I actually found yoga in lockdown as my number one fitness/mental health hobby, and that’s why I’m hesitant to run tooooo many times a week. With working full time, sorting out all the admin after his passing, seeing his sister, strength training, yoga classes and just general chores (cooking, cleaning, etc), I want to be mindful I’m not scheduling too much to lead to burnout. I’d really love the yoga to be able to stay, I’ve just joined a new studio that I love.

But I’d not heard of Hal Higdon until now, so I think he’s definitely the way to go!

@keepitsimple144 Oh man I’m so very sorry that happened to you. It’s so heartbreaking.

For your question I haven’t run in a while but I’d probably try to do two runs a week, one long/slow (like feels almost laughably slow) and a short one with speed work like fartleks. RunKeeper has narrated runs on their app.

@foodiehubster That’s great advice and definitely seems manageable for what I’m after right now. Might ramp it up when the nights get lighter, weather gets warmer and the run gets closer, but for now this is perfect!

@keepitsimple144 If you're generally active and can already run 5k without issue then I think this is totally doable. Running plans usually call for more running because they assume you want to get better at running and/or actually like it, but Triathlon plans are often 2 days of running. Get your body used to running 5k 1-2x a week now and gradually build up the distance on one of those runs. If you can be more like 2-3x per week for a couple months before the event that's even better.

If you want a plan to follow, Hal Higdon's 10 mile / 15km Novice plan is 3 days of running for 10 weeks.

@ruyifa This is definitely what I’m hoping to do. 1-2x a week now, and gradually getting longer. I do think I’d be more inclined to run more often in the lighter/warmer evenings too. How much longer would you recommend each week?

@keepitsimple144 First, I’m so sorry for your loss. That’s a beautiful way to honor him.

Second, (looking at edit) - you’re not being unrealistic! You have way more than 10 weeks and if you would like to follow the plan but cut the shortest run out & repeat some weeks as needed to stretch it out, that’s highly doable. Even if you can only run 2x/week, pick the longest two runs on the mileage building plan and do those, again repeating weeks as needed to stretch it out.

Keep your running pace EASY and don’t be afraid of taking short walk breaks as needed. Check out r/running and r/AdvancedRunning for general advice on starting up running and what easy running entails. Personally, I ignore pace and try to keep my heart rate around or below 75% of my max for my easy runs. Again, short walk breaks are not a bad thing! If you’re struggling to keep your heart rate down, alternating 4-5min running / 30sec-1min walking could be a great way to break it up. Best wishes and best of luck 🤗

@keepitsimple144 Runner here and have been running for a little over a year.

If I were just starting, this is the advice I would give myself. If I wanted to take it nice and slow, I would increase my longest run by no more than 10% on a weekly basis. Say my max is currently 5k, the next run I would do should go up by roughly 0.3 miles. The week after, I would increase by 10% of 3.4ish miles and so on and so forth. I would supplement the in between days with strength training on legs as I personally started having very sore knees and knee pain once I started doing more than 10 miles per week. The pains went always for the most part after I started incorporating squats, deadlifts, and weighted glute bridges. Hip adduction and abduction machines are also a good idea.

I’d say your goals are very realistic and totally doable. Also note that you don’t necessarily have to have your longest run get to 8.5 miles by your goal timeline of June (most 1/2 marathon training plans will not have a runner run the entire 13.2 miles for their longest training run).

One thing to note though: don’t decide to add mileage to your longer runs because you feel as though you still have the energy to do so! I once added 2 extra miles on a planned 8 mile run (which was my longest distance to date). It felt good at the moment, I was experiencing a runner’s high…I ended up limping and extremely sore for two days before I got back to normal. What I experienced is one of the reasons for the 10% rule.

Good luck. Glad you’re thinking about doing longer distances. I personally didn’t truly start loving running until I went beyond the 5k distance!

@arturo303 The 10% rule is really useful actually! This gives me a reasonable guide about how quickly I can expect to increase. My current longest run is 6km so if I do that a couple of times and then work up from there, then hopefully I’ll get to where I need to be, or at least close enough.

@keepitsimple144 I highly recommend the Run with Hal app. It looks like a paid app but it’s actually free, just bypass the pay pop up. You enter your goal distance and date and your starting fitness and it does the rest.