Should I Start Going to the Gym

putri

Sorry, this post has been removed by the moderators of r/GYM.
Moderators remove posts from feeds for a variety of reasons, including keeping communities safe, civil, and true to their purpose.
Like the title said, should I start going to the gym? I’m 16, at an all time low, very little friends, very skinny and insecure (used to be a XC runner), and very depressed. I get made fun of for how I look, and want to be more confident with myself. Is it a good idea to start? Do you think I’d get made fun of by other gym goers for how I look? Do you think I could make some friends there too? Sorry if this is too generic. And does anybody have any solid workout programs?

@putri As long as you follow proper gym etiquette, nobody’s gonna judge you. We all started somewhere. Just don’t be that dude that takes an hour on one machine or leaves the dumbbells all over the place.

@putri Just be considered of the space and people around you. Don’t hog machines while you scroll on your phone doing fuck all, don’t carelessly put dumbbells in the spot they DIDNT come from, don’t walk around smelling like shit cause you didn’t shower or put deodorant on, dont leave your ass prints carved out of sweat on the bench you were using, etc. Not calling you out obviously, just some stuff I see too often at the gym that pisses me off and is the only source of judgement from the majority of gym goers. No one will (or should) judge your physique, but they will judge how you act. Just be considerate is all.

@putri Going to the gym is never a bad idea. (Unless you’re elderly and brittle or some shit). You won’t get made fun of at the gym, and you could absolutely make friends there. Some of the nicest people I know; I’ve met at the gym. Also, you do not need a workout program. So please don’t rely on someone else’s routine and definitely don’t go buying one because I know some do. Bench, squat, deadlift should be a priority if muscle is what you’re going for. Free weights give you more shape, but don’t neglect cables and machines for that reason, just don’t put all of your focus on them. As of weight, what’s your goal? You wanna bulk? You wanna be lean?

@kevinsim For someone who’s never stepped into the gym before, I think 99% of people would recommend them follow a well known routine. People spend way too many wasted years, thinking they know better than the professionals.

@becksblue I agree with you. What I meant was, buying a program or going by a professionals routine wouldn’t be a good idea as a beginner. Sorry, I realize now I wasn’t clear. My thought process is, a good PPL split to start out with, and basic understanding of what muscle groups and exercises go along with push days pull days etc. is a good way to introduce yourself to lifting.

ALSO, don’t overcomplicate things. The first few weeks you may struggle in the gym but it becomes a happy place very quickly. You’ll have a blast and look good doing it! Make sure to get your protein in, lift weights, and don’t you dare skip leg day!!! Best of luck, feel free to message or reply with questions anytime.

@putri Yes you should. If nobody knows you at the gym, they won't care. If they do, that's their own mental problem.

Just do 3 different types of workouts. Push exercises, pull exercises, and leg exercises. Ask people for help if you don't know something. Have fun, wish you the best of luck.

@putri Dude, stop worrying about what other people say 1st of all.. when you get older, you will realize you wasted your youth worrying about what other people think.. trust me. If you are a good person inside, you are beautiful to me. Go to the gym if you want, but only because its what you want. If you want to but can't because of insecurities, find a way to own it and just go. The 1st time is the hardest. After that you will realize most people in the gym just keep to themselves anyways and try to tune everyone else out. You will probably be invisible to almost everyone