Skyrocketing food prices and eating healthy

liferiver

I live in Canada in a smaller community and food prices are skyrocketing. It’s becoming very difficult to balance eating healthy, eating tasty food, and staying within a food budget.

Sure, there are lentils and rice but I can’t eat only that. Fresh vegetables are astronomical right now. I’m talking $6 for three red peppers, $3.99 for two portobello mushrooms, $7 for a three pack of romaine, $6.50 for 300g of baby spinach… Even frozen veggies aren’t much cheaper ($4.50 for a 300g bag of frozen “stir fry mix”) and frozen veg don’t work for every recipe.

I grocery shop and cook for myself and my male partner (who easily eats double what I can eat). A veggie stir fry requires two bags of frozen veggies. And that’s not including adding any protein to the meal.

Anyone else in the same boat?

@liferiver I live in a high cost of living area. Bulk frozen fruit and veggies is key. Don't try making too many fancy recipes because then you'll be locked in to buying a set of items at whatever markup they have them at. Instead buy what is most affordable and work your cooking around that. For greens you don't need a whole lot to get your required nutrients.

Shit sucks, but at least we can laugh at the animal flesh addicts whining about their $15/lb cow parts or whatever it is now.

@liferiver Obviously this sucks balls that food prices are going up in your area, but these are all produce items that tend to be pretty expensive and/or not in season in late winter. Is cabbage expensive right now? Carrots, broccoli and cauliflower, sweet potato? Has the price on regular button mushrooms gone up?

@liferiver I'm on a pretty tight budget and I pad out my diet a bit with wholemeal bread. It is high in carbs but has a decent amount of protein too. Is there a bakery or cafe around that might sell day old loaves cheap? I freeze them and use them as toast if they aren't fresh. In a pinch a lot of supermarkets sell generic brands cheap.