Squat form check 105 lbs x 5

@finnallen101 Can I add on to this question since there is a great visual?

My active release therapy guy specializes in competitive weigh lifters. Works at the competitions even. I'm not one of those but go to him for my sport injuries.

Anyways he said I was doing squats wrong and I swear I was doing them like the video in the original post. Basically folding the joints.

He said I have to initiate with the glutes(like sit back) on the way down and then it takes pressure off the knee. His squats and now mine when I get it right look very different from that but I definitely feel it more in my glutes this way.

I'm still trying to train the muscle memory and if anyone here knows how to explain this better I'd appreciate help because ever squat I have to totally think step by step to do it the way he showed me.

Why are there 2 types of squats if anyone is feeling up to explaining that? Cause I see both styles used on YouTube. Is one better for one body type over another?

@popc
He said I have to initiate with the glutes(like sit back) on the way down and then it takes pressure off the knee.

This really depends on how your body is shaped. If you have long legs and a short torso, this will actually increase the load on the knee and is why people with these proportions tend to fold over more than people with a long torso and short legs.

This video does a good job explaining it and how differing bodies have to squat differently.

@chelleaiken81 Wow that was an education and a half.
I understand why he's got me doing it this way much more now.

Hyper mobile, already quad dominant, and wider hips apparently can make strain higher on the knee. That visual was great, now I won't feel so stupid being the only one sticking my butt out vs just folding down like everyone else seems to at my gym.

So much to consider, makes me even more grateful to have professionals willing to think the details through for me. :)

@popc As I understand it, high bar and low bar target slightly different areas and some just work better for some body mechanics. Low bar is often suggested for those with longer femurs.

Squats aren't a glute heavy exercise though. They are a quad dominant and hamstring 2nd exercise. Though "sitting back" is the typical suggested cue for squatting.

@ravenblue Low bar works more of the posterior chain than high bar. Some people will say low bar squatting is working almost the same muscle groups as a deadlift, so it is somewhat redundant. If you are an exclusive low bar squatter you might want to add in some front squats to keep you quad strength growing. I'm quad dominant, but have a long femur to leg ratio so I low bar squat.

@ravenblue Ah ok so this may be part of his recommendation.

I am already quad dominant because one of my other activities has me basically in a squat for hours at a time. The way he has me doing them activates the my glutes verses relying on already over developed quads.

So much to learn!! Thanks

@andrew4jesus Omg, thank you! I read this between squat sets and thought "I've got long femurs-why not?" You totally just solved my balance issues I've been fighting with for the last year. It feels WAY better!

@andrew4jesus Woah thanks so much. I've been struggling for so long to figure out how people can possibly put the weight mostly in the heels and also not get knees past the toes. I'm only 5'8" but mostly legs, and hadn't been able to figure out the issue - I'd started lowering the bar a bit on my back because it seemed to make the squats feel more natural, but now I know I can hold it even lower and that's totally okay for me. Jeez.

@andrew4jesus I'm 5'9" and long-legged and going low bar really helped me feel more comfortable squatting. I'm not sure how credible he is (I'm a beginner) but I found this video of Mark Rippetoe coaching people of different sizes really helpful for developing a comfortable low-bar stance

@andrew4jesus I'll second low bar. Also a long legged long femured lady. Low bar lets you fall forward a little more than high bar, just remember your bar path should remain straight and over mid foot.