Squat form check please :)

arealwomanalwyz

So... I've been strength training for more than a year but I've been more serious since last May.

I've gotten quite good at hip thrusts and I'm working my way onto deadlifts (6 reps 55kgs for 3 sets this morning).

But the one exercice I've been consciously avoiding is squats. I don't like squats and I'm pretty sure my form is bad, which is why I don't really want to work on it. I want to change that and improve!

Please let me know how I'm doing and how to improve.

These are 40kgs (88 lbs) x 4.

Link to the video

@arealwomanalwyz Your form is not that bad. I'd lose the pad and watch this:

Through your unrack your upper back tightness and elbow position is good, but as you go down you lose it.

@arealwomanalwyz Try pushing your hips/butt back and 'sitting into' the squat more - right now you're breaking at the knees and it's not giving you enough space to go through the movement properly. I think this will help with your depth.

If possible can you get a video where we can see what your feet are doing during your squat?

What I like to do with my wrists is get them under the bar and keep them straight.

Agree with everyone saying ditch the pad.

@arealwomanalwyz Don't let your back cave in as others said sit the bar on your traps but also take a deep breath into your stomach before you squat. Flex your abdomen and keep your back straight. Try to do the lift keeping your chest up.

@arealwomanalwyz Better to take that foam thing off the bar if you can. Or use a different bar. Also watch this

10 min video, this is the way to squat. He does one on the deadlift too if you're interested in that.

@arealwomanalwyz I just want to give you props for posting. I know a lot of people do it but it still requires a tremendous amount of courage. Bravo Sister! Maybe one day I'll post a form check too...

@mfuller For real. Sometimes when we ask for help on making 100%, we get a little much. It also seems to be an exponential curve from from 0-100 rather than linear. Think about it this way, if you bought a brand new car that was $25k vs one that is $250k. The latter better not have scratch in the paint under the hood.

Sorry for the nerdy-ness

@dawn16 Yeah, the issues I see with OPs form I think would be fixed with learning to get the back tight and learning to brace properly, which are addressed in that series. Such a good series! Good luck, OP!

@arealwomanalwyz It looks a little unstable and you’re putting a lot of stress on your wrists. That might be because you have tight shoulders and they pull forward; because you have the towel/pad around the bar which is shifting the position of the bar; or a combination of both. Either way you should get rid of the pad, work on your shoulder mobility and learn how to properly rack the bar on your back. Either high or low, whatever is most comfortable for you. Also work on your mobility in general, and learn how to brace and ‘get tight’ properly.
Just those few changes will improve your form and the weight you’ll be able to move significantly. Look up some videos by Allan Thrall or Stefi Cohen. They both have a lot of stuff covering form, technique, and mobility. This Series is also great for mobility drills. Do them before every squat workout.

@arealwomanalwyz Seconding the comments on your wrists, with heavy weights there is bound to be a little bit of “pull” but yours seem to be moving backwards and forwards as you squat.

You need to ditch that pad as it is causing the bar to roll on your back. You have very little, if any upper back tension as far as I can tell. You want to grip the bar in a way like you are almost trying to bend it over your shoulders - this SHOULD create tension up top and stop that rolling, but you will still want to ditch the pad.

You are almost leaning forward into a squat rather than “dropping” into one. Sortve like a good morning. Keep your weight back and sit into the squat. Think about opening up your hips rather than hinging them. You are also not hitting depth (at least it appears) but I’d focus on the other issues first.

@arealwomanalwyz Your wrists should not turn like that - it's causing the bar to drop down your back - maybe put your hands out further.

seems like there is a bracing issue - on your way up I can see the lack of bracing and the result is the lower back straining.

I see you are crooked? maybe it's the angle but it seems like you wobble the bar left and right a bit.

@arealwomanalwyz Is turning your wrists back like that normal? I'd be worried that heavier weight would roll back and break my wrists...(I genuinely don't know, asking the sub at large)

@dawn16 I wouldn't do it on a back squat, but that sort of wrist movement is the typical placement for a front squat. Needs a good amount of wrist mobility and isn't necessarily comfortable.