Squats: How far do you go down?

@betsy789 I break parallel but just barely. What I gathered from my reading is that not breaking parallel routinely will make you miss a lot of muscles including some of the knee stabilizing network which can lead to knee injuries, but going super far down just makes the lift more difficult by increasing the distance you have to push the bar. I might start practicing ATG when I get bored with just increasing weight on the bar, but for now I like just doing the basic lift.

@betsy789 My physical therapist once told me there isn't really much reason to go below parallel. I still try to, I am trying to improve my mobility.

@betsy789 Pilates is a abs focused. Check out a ten minute pilates and video and you'll have that box checked off.

If you really just want exercises to add on, hollow bodies and planks will do it.

@betsy789 What are you doing for abs? I don’t like most ab routines, but what I’ve been doing lately is farmer’s walk. It’s working wonders for my obliques. I’m kind of chubby, so I can’t comment on whether it’s flattening my stomach muscles. It’s also improving my running, I think.

@betsy789 Your hip crease at the same level as the top of your knee is what makes a rep count for squats in my opinion. With barbell squats some people can go loeer and some don't.

Also, powerlifters usually don't go that much lower from what I have seen. Probably because it requires extra energy. Plus, it is easier to injure yourself. Why? Everyone has a point where your lower back will start to round. With proper technique most people can reach parallel with barbell back squats. However, lots of people will experience their back rounding lower than that. For some it may be lower, but powerlifters lift very heavy weights. When you have a lot of weight on your back it is harder to control it and you may not notice if during some reps you went lower than you should have gone. So, parallel is safer in my opinion.

Now, the point where you stop also depends on the type of squat. With goblet squats I can go as low as I can without putting pressure on my back.

So, if you are training for hypertrophy and can go lower than parallel for barbell back squats without rounding your back, then I think it is fine. If you use heavy weights be careful though, because as I said, when the weight gets heavy you may not notice if you are exactly at the right spot.

@christ148 Exactly. I have decent mobility and can pretty much lower myself to the ground and sit down from a bodyweight squat without any struggle, but I only go a little below parallel when squatting with a barbell because my lower back WILL round when I go lower. I don't squat sumo a whole lot though, it's obviously easier to keep the lower back in check if you do.

@betsy789 The thing is: do whatever doesn't hurt you and where you meet your goals the most.

I don't do ATG. I have very long femurs and have to bend my torso pretty forward to be hitting ATG, to a point where it hurts my back (trust me, I've tried a lot, but either my back hurts or I'll fall forward). Also, I feel both my quads and my glutes better when I go parallel (90°).

Most lifters I see daily that do ATG go way too fast and use momentum more than strength - like, they'll stay 0.00001s at the bottom and swing back up. I personally wouldn't feel any muscle with that technique.

To each their own.

@thiena The momentum thing may be because they’re powerlifters or lifting heavy weight ― sitting in the hole (at the bottom of the squat) expends a bunch of energy and makes it harder to come back up, so for a powerlifter, “bouncing” out of the hole is much more efficient.

@q490264 Could be, but most never go over 50kg/110lbs, which I squat parallel.

There's one guy that does 120kg+/265lbs+ regularly, but most do, I'd say, normal weights. Nothing extraordinary.

@betsy789 I work with a coach who’s been pro bodybuilding for 12 years. He’s taught me parallel. And I’ve seen excellent leg gains from it.
I also have noticed in the past, when I go below parallel, that I will develop pain in the front of my knee.

But honestly whatever you like to do is fine, as long as you don’t develop pain from it.

@betsy789 Usually just past 90 degrees if I'm going for high weight. Light ass to grass for range of motion and functional strength. I have bad knees, though, so I'm a bit more careful.

@betsy789 My reco is to watch some squat university videos on youtube or Instagram. He has a wealth of knowledge for squats. I starting doing squats ass to grass, and my lesson is to make sure you do enough mobility warm ups, activate glutes at the bottom, and progress slowly at first.

@betsy789 Ass to grass is definitely not for powerlifters. They want to ride the line of being low enough to be legal (crease of the hip below the knee) and getting away with being as high as possible (to lift the most weight). I feel most people should strive to go below parallel but it’s not for everyone. If you have mobility limitations you may find that you can’t keep good form while going that low, especially in the back squat. Front squat and goblet squats are easier to get good depth as the balance point moves forward. When I teach the squat I get people to stop where their form breaks down. Most people can get below parallel but not everyone. Pretty much everyone can get ass to grass in a goblet squat if you put something under their heels. Some say that’s a crutch and should be avoided but you don’t get more ROM overnight.

@farmerdex I’ve heard that plates below your heels is particularly good for people with long femurs!

I personally disagree with people saying it’s a crutch - squat shoes are also elevating your heels. Imo it can really help avoid injuries.

@betsy789 I don't agree with the notion that "X is only for Y".

Ass-to-grass has great benefits for everyone who wants to do them. Ankle, hip, knee, and calf mobility, balance in a weighted and squatted position, etc. All things that are good for human range of motion and body control.

Ass-to-grass is not for people who have lower body injuries or limitations, balance issues, or people who simply don't want to do them or are have goals that dont require that depth of squats.

It's a technical part of powerlifting, though ots not ONLY for powerlifting. Just like many many many other movements. Do what you want to and what feels good.

@0834691644 Thank you for the tip.

The video was three weeks ago. My socks and feet had a hard time gripping the floor. I corrected it ( wider stance, barefoot) and felt great the past few weeks.

I have thought about lifting light and trying ass to grass.

Back