Struggling with pike position

fredbird67

As the title suggests I struggle extremely with the seated pike position. Here's some information about me.

Been training on and off for 10 years. As of right now, can do 10+ muscle ups, weighted pull up 20kg x 10, pull ups 20+, weighted dips 20kg x 10, handstand 10seconds, supported hand stand pushup x 5, L sit 15 seconds, dragon flags x 12. I am no means a beginner in body weight exercise but not the most advanced either.

I've noticed this issue in my L sit, I can't bend into my legs forming a pike position to then drive a stronger L sit hold. I know people are going to say hamstring flexibility, but I really have been stretching them out a lot. Are my stretches inefficient? What's the best way to hold strength in the position? Are my hip flexor muscles too weak to support the stance?

Thanks!

@jermyn Already am. I can pike alright from a standing up position which the Jefferson has helped me achieve, however its not translating well into the seating position.

@fredbird67 For calves - best calves stretch is to do them straight leg on a slant board.

For “best” pike stretch targeting hamstrings depends on where you’re at in the progression (determine by pike while standing).

If you can’t touch your toes yet, the best stretch I recommend doing is the doorway hamstring stretch, with the entire leg touching the wall.

If you can touch your toes, but can’t place palm to floor, I recommend Jefferson Curls. Holding the bottom position for time is also good.

If you can place palms to floor, but can’t get face flat on your mid-shins, there’s 3 exercises I recommend, all are good:
-inverted pike on stall bars
-Pike with weighted shoulder extension
-weighted squat to standing pike (usually done standing on bench, with weight below bench)

From this point forward, if you want to progress from doing head to mid-shin to doing head to toe. I recommend doing standing single leg pike pulses (look up Emmet Louis video)

@fredbird67
I've noticed this issue in my L sit, I can't bend into my legs forming a pike position to then drive a stronger L sit hold. I know people are going to say hamstring flexibility, but I really have been stretching them out a lot. Are my stretches inefficient? What's the best way to hold strength in the position? Are my hip flexor muscles too weak to support the stance?

As others have said, we need to know your flexibility routine.

There's lots of different methods that can work. Static stretching, dynamic, ballistic, PNF, loaded stretching. They all work, but they can be ineffective in certain circumstances.

@fredbird67 It takes time at constantly trying to do it/go beyond it. Standing, you have gravity helping you, seated.....you don't.

It is more important that you keep back from rounding than it is for you to touch your feet.

Grab your legs at the farthest point you can reach and pull your torso down AND FORWARD. If you feel you are rounding your back (you probably don't have the proprioception to realize this...so try to use a mirror if possible) don't go any further, just hold there. Go further next attempt.

It took time and effort and ya, at one time touching my feet was a stretch. Now for seated forward fold....pike...my shoulders touch legs lol.

Checkout r/flexibility. Wealth of knowledge to absorb there on being flexible.

@a87 I feel like this is the case as I feel extremely weak in the position and can't apply force downwards.

However, I am really good at leg raises, I can do reps from hang all the way till my head. If I do not engage my lats I can swing lots of rep till waist.

@fredbird67 Hanging leg raises are easy to cheat. Do them on a stall bar or do them strict with neutral or hollow back.

Do standing leg raises: with neutral back (do not shift your hips or torso) lift the leg until you reach end of ROM. Both legs should be completely straight and there should be tension in the glutes on the opposite side. Hold the leg for 2 seconds at the top. On the last rep hold for 10-15s.

Pike leg lifts: sit on the floor with straight back. It's a good idea to sit with the back against the wall because these are also very easy to cheat. Lean forward and start lifting the legs in a controlled manner. On the last rep try to hold.

There are other exercises that you can do such as calves stretches, tibialis raises , Jefferson curls if you have other restrictions.

Back