The case for more stretching

@alfie13 I personally really notice a difference if I don't stretch, especially in my neck and shoulders after being on the computer for work all day.

I'm not a professional athlete or anything but I stretch because I enjoy how it makes my muscles feel.

Thanks for this!

@hmf I work at my very non-ergonomic home office setting and this whole thread has given me the motivation to start stretching. I don't really like it but not stretching is probably the reason why my neck feels so stiff all the time! What kind of stretches do you do?

@alfie13 I’m a physical therapist and I gotta say, you’ve written an absolutely beautiful analysis here. I’ve picked up some new studies from your references and I’m also pocketing how you’ve phrased things, because it’s easy to understand and very accessible not just for professionals but also the average layperson. This is stellar work, you’ve really knocked it out of the park.

@ch7 Thank you so much! I really appreciate your feedback, because making it accessible for everyone was exactly my goal. Because although I’m a researcher, sometimes I still get confused by the scientific jargon, lol. It’s not always easy reading scientific literature. But I’m glad you liked it and found some new studies for your work :)

@jeffwilly001 Honestly, I don’t follow a specific programme. I have a book at home which shows and explains several different stretches per muscle group, and I’ll do stretches for the muscles I used in a particular workout, holding them for 30-60s usually. And I also do a full body stretching session on my rest days.

But basically, any stretching programme will do, you can always add or remove certain stretches or modify the duration of the stretch.
I find the starting to stretch routine on /r/flexibility isn’t bad, they have you hold the stretches for 60s even, but they only have you do it 2-3x per week, so you can play around with that if you want. Tom Merrick also has some good videos on what stretches there actually are, but again, you might want to modify it a little.

So no, unfortunately I don’t have a specific routine to recommend, but at least you now know how you could modify an existing routine you like to adapt it to your needs.

@alfie13 It’s seriously brilliant - if I hadn’t read your little story at the top I would have thought this was a very well written assignment from a physical therapy student. What type of scientist are you?

@alfie13 Do you listen to the podcast TWIV?! (This Week In Virology)
TWIP (parasitism) is also fun.

Sorry for jumping into your conversation, I just... rarely come across people who do things I’m interested in and I get really excited! (I’m not a virologist, nor do I have any virologist friends, but I’d love to.)

Also, I love your original post and thank you for taking the time to spread research supported information! ⚛️