The Great Protein Lie: Unmasking the Truth Behind Excessive Protein Intake in Vegan Fitness and Reclaiming Our Health

sandraovercomer

Let me start by saying that the protein obsession plaguing the vegan fitness community is a sham, and it's time we expose it for what it is. Fitness YouTubers, influencers, and even some individuals here on r/veganfitness are spreading misinformation, making people feel insecure about their protein intake, and exploiting this insecurity to sell unnecessary protein supplements. It's time to set the record straight.

Research has shown that protein intake for athletes, including strength and endurance athletes, ranges from 1.2 to 2.0 grams per kilogram of body weight (0.54 to 0.9 grams per pound) – significantly less than what's being pushed by these so-called experts and some community members (1). In fact, several studies have found that consuming more than 1.6 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight does not result in further muscle gains (2).

Armed with this knowledge, I decided to let go of my excessive protein consumption and focus on a balanced, whole-foods plant-based diet. I consume 0.5-0.6 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight per day and have experienced massive gains in strength, endurance, and overall physique. I no longer feel controlled by the protein myth, and it's been nothing short of liberating.

During this transition, I experimented on my own body to see if reducing protein intake would have any negative impact on my muscle mass. My anecdotal experience showed that I didn't lose any muscle mass after going down to 0.5-0.6 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. Instead, my gains continued to grow, debunking the myth that excessive protein is necessary for muscle growth.

Instead of obsessing over protein, I focus on training hard using progressive overload in the gym and tracking my calories during cutting and bulking phases. This approach has led me to achieve my fitness goals without feeling the need to constantly worry about getting enough protein.

It's time to break free from the grip of the protein myth and focus on what truly matters: consuming a balanced, whole-foods plant-based diet and training hard. We, as a community, need to stand together and say "enough is enough". Let's show the world that vegans can achieve their fitness goals without falling prey to marketing schemes, misinformation, and unrealistic expectations set by others within our own ranks.

(1) Campbell, B., et al. (2007). International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: protein and exercise. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, 4(1), 8.

(2) Morton, R. W., et al. (2018). A systematic review, meta-analysis and meta-regression of the effect of protein supplementation on resistance training-induced gains in muscle mass and strength in healthy adults. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 52(6), 376-384.

(3) Statista Research Department. (2020). Global sports nutrition market size 2020-2025. Retrieved from https://www.statista.com/statistics/238959/global-sports-nutrition-market-size/

@sandraovercomer A more thorough examination of this “obsession” is given in the book “Proteinaholic”. It’s not just fitness nerds and vegan body builders. It’s the whole culture.

@sandraovercomer Thanks for this. Great that you had that experience, but you should be aware that one anecdote is not really great evidence, and hardly a debunking. Still, I think the current obsession over protein is certainly a bit over the top.

@sandraovercomer AFAIK it’s 1.6g per kg of lean body weight too for the absolute top results

Most beginners on here asking questions have a lot of bodyfat and think they need like 200g of protein

Can’t begin to count the number of posts asking “how do I eat X grams of protein” where X is some number that’s at least 50% more than the person needs based on their weight and goals

@luvtogrow2 This, exactly, people don't need to eat nearly as much as some people mistakenly believe.

That said though, the reasoning for eating above it isn't necessarily for muscle building benefits, it's more so for the appetite suppression benefits, but a lot of people run around misunderstanding why someone is eating above their needs. My usual goal is to eat my 1.6 and as much more as I feel like eating, with a bunch of fruits and veggies mixed in.

Bottom line is eating more fiber and protein helps keep you feeling full, just don't go overboard, but you also don't have to eat enormous amounts of protein.

@luvtogrow2 I don't count my calories (l do some rough estimates when l've changed my regular dishes enough), but how would you estimate the protein need? Would you do a body fat measurement and subtract that procentage of your total weight?

@ladyestellarose If you want a reasonably accurate estimate, you can get a cheap set of calipers and measure your skin folds. Then subtract your fat mass from your total weight.

FatMass = Weight * BodyFat%

Lean mass = Weight - FatMass

So lean mass = Weight - (Weight * BodyFat%)

And protein need = Protein g/kg * Weight in kg

@sandraovercomer The weird thing is that mainstream advice hasn’t changed and is 0.8g per kg body weight for 98% of people (US advice). That’s the figure that’s currently supported by the body of research. I’m sure anybody doping needs more to build muscle and obviously semi pro and pro athletes will have their own nutrition professionals

@nebula1 That 0.8 g/kg is the RDA alright, but I commonly read that vegans should aim a bit higher (1 g/kg) because of the slightly reduced absorption and vegan athletes a bit higher yet (1.2-1.8 g/kg depending on type and amount of exercise). Going over that could help some people eat a calorie restricted diet and feel more satiated but isn’t needed otherwise.

@murfy I think 1g per kg of bodyweight is fine for the vast majority of people, even highly active people. The meat and dairy industry have been behind the marketing of high protein diets and if there was any kind of significant provable benefit then their powerful lobby groups would have had the rda increased.

@sandraovercomer I’m a big woman and even if I shoot for 1.6kg/g of lean mass, I’d need 110g of protein. That’s easy enough for me to get now without any protein powders, but it still requires being intentional about having a higher protein source at every meal, such as tofu or seitan, and I still have room to eat fruits and vegetables. Before I started tracking for awareness of what I consume (calories and protein), my guess is that I generally didn’t get more than 60g of protein per day. That’s not enough for most people and certainly not enough for folks trying to get stronger and build muscle. I wouldn’t be surprised if the average vegan who doesn’t track their food consumption has no clue how much protein they get.

For me I have found eating more protein, like 120-150g/day, works very well as an appetite suppressant and is very satiating. It is much easier to be in a calorie deficit which is supportive of my weight loss goal, if my protein is higher than 100g. And it is basically painless. I don’t have cravings for sweets like I did when I used to eat WFPB, starch based, with probably 80/10/10 macros. That’s for me personally. May not apply to others.

@sandraovercomer I agree with you, 100%, and have done the same thing, with reduction of it over time. I make sure to have some after exercise, 20-30g in one shot and then don't worry about it, at all. Nobody living in any of the developed countries is suffering from lack of protein. Nobody. And pretty much all of the modern diseases are due to excess protein and calorie consumption.

There is a direct link with excessive protein intake and early death. People who eat lots of protein die earlier than those that don't.

@larryicels Look it up, make up your own mind, do some reading.

Sources are listed in the back of Proteinholics, Longevity Diet, China Study and so on and on. Oh, and old people that live in any of the blue zones around the world.

@sandraovercomer It’s hardly a sham though. While many people push over proven beneficial amounts of protein. Optimal protein intake for muscle growth is still fairly high and not a sham and often difficult for vegans to achieve.