The Great Protein Lie: Unmasking the Truth Behind Excessive Protein Intake in Vegan Fitness and Reclaiming Our Health

@sandraovercomer I usually don't see recommendations to consume more than 1g/lb in this forum (or anywhere). Which is the same as the high end of what you mentioned.

There is also some research that higher protein than 1g/lb has benefits if you're cutting.

Most people probably don't need the higher end, but I wouldn't call 1g/lb a lie.

@sandraovercomer Well, my body is proving this to be false. I’ve been vegan for almost 10 years now. Started lifting a year ago with barely any results / gains. Started eating almost exclusively protein and fiber, in portions for two. In 6 months time, I went from a fat M to a lean L in confection size. The only thing I did was “riding the vegan protein hype”. This post is just wrong, sorry.

A body is personal equipment with a personal requirement. You cannot generalize any diet advice. But suggesting an average consumer should definitely not up their protein (and fiber) intake, considering average weight numbers in a lot of countries, is just bad advice honestly. Even if you overeat in terms of calories, it’s still better to snack on protein or fibers (veggies) than it is to stuff your face with fats n sugars.

@sandraovercomer My weight and height are the same. I essentially just turned the fat into muscle in a way. As I stated, I did not supplement any protein AND did not focus on ratio’s while buying / making food. Now I do both. I put about 3 spoons of vegan powder in a shake each day, my average dish is half veggies and half protein. I only eat carbs when I go running (more than usual). I try to limit fats. That’s it.