They say old guys shouldn’t lift heavy weights

@maxmanroe Anyone that says older people shouldn’t strength train needs to educate themselves on the latest science about aging and muscular size and strength.

Older people should be encouraged to strength train.

@maxmanroe It makes me happy to see this. Thank you for sharing. I'm 44 and lifting heavy to preserve what I do have and get stronger. This is the way to be and to keep us young. Keep crushing it dude! Love posts like this.

@maxmanroe Legit question bro.. do u lift heavy with squats and deadlifts? I’m about to be 39… I just don’t wanna hurt myself (never have)… I believe in lifting heavy

@scamper Yes. More deadlifts than squats (just because I hate squats). I did 475 for my overwarm single on deadlifts on Sunday and squatted 405 a couple of weeks ago. I only try and hit a true 1RM on them once or twice a year (both those numbers are in the 90-95% range), but I do go heavy on a very regular basis.

@maxmanroe A bummer that one of the regulars said he'd never seen someone so big lifting so little on your first day in the gym. I've never joined one, partly for this reason. If it was my first day, I'd hope the regulars would be welcoming or keep the negative stuff to themselves.

@prayerboi No, he was welcoming (and we chatted pretty frequently afterwards). He just didn’t have much in the way of filters and so when the question popped into his head he asked it.
I get where he was coming from - If I saw a 260lb guy (I was quite a bit fatter then) benching with 25lb dumbbells I’d wonder what was up.

@maxmanroe See, I thought you were gonna be a bench press, then opened the video.

Then I thought you were going for a squat, and was like "eh, that's not heavy".

Then you did not go for a squat, I stand corrected, and lead on good sir, lead on.

@maxmanroe I recently got into starting strength. I’m 38. I plan on using practical programming afterward. I want to dedicate the next 5 years to reaching the peak of my strength and then try to hang onto it to varying degrees as I age and eventually die.

@maxmanroe Nobody says that. It is however wise as an older lifter to stay way from low rep ranges. The risks outweigh the benefits. They are harder in your joints and you risk injuries. Those injuries can risk your lifting career when they happen at an older age.