This is my basic training layout, what adjustments would you make to prioritize calves/legs (more calves)?

jamierite74

Training for 10+yrs. Adopted some of my style lately from Jordan Peters methods (top set/back off set for some compound work, straight sets for the rest). Very close to failure. I always leg curl before I do any squat variants b/c it makes my knees happy. Right now calves are hit 3x in these 9 days (only 9 total sets). I was separating RDL from legs (doing it on Pull which I loved) to give each better focus but ham recovery was iffy assuming I keep leg curls on Legs.

2 on/1 off (Arnold x PPL)

Legs/DA/x/CB/Legs/x/Pull/Push/x (2x per muscle every 9 days)

Legs

2x RDL

2x leg curl

2x hack

3x calf raise

2x leg ext

2x adductor

Delt/Arms

3x lateral

3x curl

3x extension

2x curl

2x extension

2x rear delt

Chest/Back

2x DB incline

2x pulldown

2x dips

2x seated row

3x cable Y raise

Legs

2x leg curl

2x leg press

3x calf

2x leg ext

2x leg curl

2x belt squat

Pull

2x high row

2x pulldown

2x chest supp Tbar row

2x curl

2x curl

2x shrug

Push

2x lateral

2x HS incline bench

2x OHP machine

3x extension

2x lateral

3x calf raise

@jamierite74 Do you like the rotating 2 on 1 off? That would drive me crazy personally.

Additionally, you’re getting two times every nine and you could get just as much from a 4 day upper lower and technically hade more recovery & weekends off. Just a thought

@dawn16 Edit: sorry for the length i love going back n forth about lifting concepts

Its funny you say that b/c lining my training up to the 7 day week drives me crazy. I quit doing that not sure how many years ago and Idk if I could go back. Its a little hard to explain so I wont get too into it but I just dont like training the same things on the same days each week and being a victim to the weekly schedule. I like to be more free flowing w/ my training even if I usually stick to my sched. Some weeks I train Pull on Monday and see the big monday crew. Sometimes I train Pull on a Sunday night w/ barely anyone around. And so on.

And as for my current frequency and upper/lower. I feel if someone trains w/ sufficient intensity theres nothing wrong and no sacrificed results if dropping frequency lower than that mythical 2x/wk. The differences in results are miniscule/a wash but that added recovery goes a long way especially if training with higher intensity.

On the other hand I definitely consider doing upper/lower every now and then. Either 4 days/wk or maybe even keeping the 2 on/1 off sched for a 2x in 6 days freq (but maybe too tough on joints, ligaments, connective tissue, etc) I feel like its a good set up for a lower body focus. The reasons I dont end up doing it are as follows: 1) Upper sessions are sp fatiguing/lengthy. Over the yrs Ive built my strength up a good amount and these sessions just suck the life outta me which feels inefficient 2) Less of a focus on accessory muscles which I need more of at this point. My chest/lats are already my best muscle groups. Nothing inherently wrong w/ upper sessions as an experienced lifter but it feels a little more tailored towards newer lifters when their whole upper body is a weakness. feel I might be better off having sessions a little more broken down

@jamierite74 I do a similar split and when I dabbled with high frequency calves, I did them 4x a week. Heavy on arm/delt day doing them FIRST, and at the end of each leg day for lighter reps