To eat or not to eat before working out in the morning?

aroah1015

My husband and I work out before the kid wakes up around 5:30 / 6. Should we eat beforehand?

I guess a subset to this question is: if we don’t eat before we work out, does the body pull energy from muscle or fat stores? I saw this one guy online (I know, lol, what a start to a sentence) who said that some people don’t see results because they don’t eat beforehand and the body turns to muscle for energy - he suggested eating 30 g of protein within 30 minutes of waking and then afterward doing 30 minutes of moderate exercise - not sure if anyone else has seen that guy around.

Does anyone know if there’s any truth to this? Any experience?

Nausea while working out (from eating prior or not eating) is not an issue for either of us.

Thanks so much in advance 🙏🏻

@aroah1015 It doesn't matter, if you feel fine working out fasted, you're fine.

Having 30g protein before a workout isn't gonna give you energy. Having carbs would. But if you don't feel like you need it, don't have it.

Getting protein in after a workout is good, BUT the timing doesn't matter. Don't stress about it. Protein synthesis lasts for longer than that 30 min window that you'll hear about.

@aroah1015 I never eat before workouts. I work out at 5am every morning, 6-7 days a week. It works for me.

Don’t listen to pop science, listen to your body. If you feel fatigued, have a snack, if you feel ok, skip it.

All good.

@aroah1015 If that guy's name is Gary Brecka, take his advice with extreme caution. Sometimes he just makes stuff up.

Your pre-workout eating habits are about how you feel during your workout. I've had light breakfasts, 100 calories worth of gummy bears. Sometimes I just have a protein shake.

Your weight loss is about your calorie balance over time. It's easier to stay on a plan if you have an actual plan, and if it's realistic for you.

@aroah1015 Have a banana and you'll be fine. Your energy depends on how well you slept, hydration, and if you reach your caloric goals. It doesn't really matter when you exercise during the day, before or after the meals.

@aroah1015 acute fuel utilization mechanistic rationale is generally not important equating daily activity and calories beyond what simply makes you feel or train better.

would probably not go many hours after a muscle damaging or stimulatory workout without a common sense amount of protein and carbs otherwise id say dont overthink