Trying to escape back squats

hecallsmehisown

I am switching up lifts to keep me motivated. The back squat has been my white whale. I chase after it and it ends in disappointment over and over.
I am thinking of giving front squat the same shot. I know it falls short of hamstring and posterior chain development- Romanian deadlifts don’t.

Here is what I am thinking.

A day = Front squat.

Horizontal push (incline bench).

Horizontal pull (Yates row).

Farmer walk/ carrying. (Unilateral stability)

B day = Romanian deadlift.

Vertical push (standing strict overhead press)

Vertical pull (pull up)

Abs (leg raises/ rotation or anti rotation)

Days = A. B. Off. A. B. Off. Off.

Progression= double progression method. 3 sets 5-8 reps. Starting day 1. Reps 5, 5, 5. Day 2 reps 6 5 5. Day 3 reps 6 6 5. Hope you get the idea. After 8 reps on all sets add weight.

Thoughts? Constructive criticism?

Education update: it sounds like I should stop running from the white whale and pick up the harpoon. In other words I should back squat.

I am considering upper lower split for more assistance and time to work out kinks. Looking into Dan John / Platz/ squat university/ candito. I need to film myself to get a better perspective on what it is I can improve upon.

@pkaumba I am back squatting to gain overall leg size and strength using equipment most available to me. The back squat is sold to me as the king of lower body.

I have tried numerous routines. Starting strength was the most weight I put on the bar. I also got fat, thanks milk. I got sick and ended up in the hospital because I had already zonked my recovery. It is a little more complicated.

I started back slowly and steadily. I started high bar squats. I tend to end up in injury. I start low. I have used waving percentages and focus heavily on form. I can easily work up to body weight bench, build weighted chins easy, deadlifts once a week with steady gains. Ohp no problem.

When I squat I barely get body weight (165lbs). I dread the movement. Aesthetically I feel like I have seen mild improvement. I have done goblet, double kettlebells front squats and lunges in the past and feel like I have seen more quad development. Maybe my rep ranges favored hypertrophy more and maybe learning low bar first may have taught my body more posterior engagement in back squat?

@hecallsmehisown I hate Rippetoe's squat method. I'm sure it's great for some people but after struggling with squats I'm a similar way to you for years I finally decided you have to find the squat that works for you. Limb to torsoe ratio, ankle mobility, foot width, knee direction, toe direction, bar placement, lead hinge movement are all variables that you should tweak until it feels right. There's not a one size fits all. Dan John and Tom Platz are the two that have helped me the most, but again that doesn't mean they will help you the most. But if you're not liking how Rippetoe says to squat you might give them a listen. Especially Platz with his quadcentric technique.

@hecallsmehisown Start here for squat form and figure out where your weaknesses are, then check out his videos on ankle mobility, hip mobility, etc.

If youre struggling at the bottom of the squat there are ways to fix that. If you’re struggling on the ascent there are ways to fix that as well. Proper form, recovery, and nutrition will bring gains and not injuries 👍🏻

As far as rep ranges go, 4-6 reps generally gives you the most strength/growth gains at the same time but does not emphasize either one. 8-12 will generate the most growth.