Vegan (or at least vegetarian) Creatine Recommendations?

ginger1108

Some quick background: 46 year old male, vegetarian, 5'8 between 155-160lbs. Most of my fitness is calisthenics/bodyweight (pushups, pullups, etc) and running, but I do have a set of dumbbells that go from 10-35 that I use 1-2x a week for shoulders/arms etc, for about 90 minutes per workout. My calisthenics routine can be pretty intense, and my runs are anywhere from 5k up to 13 miles, ideally every other day.

I'm currently dealing with a nagging calf injury (likely caused by a sore achilles) so I've started supplementing, magnesium, C, D, E, vegetarian glucosamine and collagen formulas, etc. I've heard that creatine is good not only for performance/strength but also to aid injury recovery, so I'd like to give it a shot. My questions are...
  1. Any particular vegetarian brand of creatine you'd recommend?
  2. Capsules or powder? I'd prefer capsules if I can get away with them since I'm already using protein powder, so it's just easier for me to pound a capsule with my twice daily vitamin routine. But if there's a significant difference, I'd love to know.
  3. Any additional thoughts on creatine's ability to help recover from minor muscle/tendon injuries?
  4. Is a "loading phase" necessary if I'm currently mostly looking to use creatine as a way to help speed recovery (assuming that's even a thing)? I'm winding down on my "season" of intense exercise, and start ramping up again in January, with things really kicking into gear around April. Is "maintenance" creatine a thing and THEN I do a loading phase when I'm ready to up the intensity?
Thanks, everyone!

@ginger1108 I might be wrong but I think any (or at least most) creatine monohydrate powders are vegan because they are synthesized in a lab. Capsules would maybe have gelatin to look out for. I take the powder. It’s totally tasteless

Back