Weekly Question Thread - Week of 8/5/2019

@paparazi257 Anything wrong with this training plan? I missed Wednesday's thread. I might also add lateral raises to A and maybe incline db press to B. The reason to allow for a range up to 8 reps before upping the weight is to allow for some more volume.

Workout A

Squat 3x5-8

Bench 3x5-8

Pendlay Rows 3x8

Face Pulls 3x10

Calf raises 2x15/Tricep pressdowns 2x10 Superset

Workout B

Front Squat 3x5-8

Overhead Press 3x5-8

Romanian Deadlift 3x8

Pullups 3x8 (any grip)

Ab work 2x15/Bicep curls 2x10 Superset

Edit: I find that I prefer front squats and romanian deadlifts over conventional deadlifts and back squats. Though I might just include back squats anyway

@racheline
Include things like age, weight, height, gender, training history, current goals, calorie/macro goals, etc

This is greatly needed to critique any routine.

The reason to allow for a range up to 8 reps before upping the weight is to allow for some more volume.

Often beginners think that they need to lift heavy and in the 5 rep range. You should be lifting somewhere around the 6-15 or 8-12 range on compound movements with a few reps away from failure.

How many times a week are you doing this routine? 6 sets per muscle a week is very low even for beginners. Beginners should be doing 10 sets per muscle a week. So the squat by example would become 5 sets per workout if this is 2x a week.

There's a lot more issues with this routine though and would need the additional information.

@redwolf6 I’m 27 years old. 5’9 and at 160. I’ve been recovering from a pretty gnarly car accident but I’m in good condition to lift weights again. I’ve just been re-learning the lifts. I lifted rather inconsistently for about a year and a half before the wreck.

With this routine I’ve only been at it for almost a month, three times a week. It is interesting what you said about the 5 reps as almost every novice routine has the compounds in that range

@racheline
almost every novice routine has the compounds in that range

Novice lifting/strength focused routines. Not novice bodybuilding focused routines. A Novice bodybuilding routine should have a variety of rep ranges and strength/hypertrophy focused days.

I would recommend a science based routine instead of making your own.

This one is very good

Meanwhile, I would learn about what makes a good hypertrophy routine. You'll learn just about everything you need to know about hypertrophy training from The Muscle & Strength Pyramid book.

@redwolf6 Thanks for the recommendation, friend! Unfortunately I do workout at home and I don't have access to machines, so finding an equivalent to leg press and extensions will be difficult. Other than that, I can pretty much do everything else.

@paparazi257 TL:dr Have any of you reading this, switched from a strength sport to bodybuilding?

I know there are already a bazillion threads on 'how to switch from powerlifting/strongman/competitive sharting' threads but they're all old enough to be archived.

I'm a powerlifter with strongman tendencies, 2 Novembers ago I partially tore my meniscus in my right knee. Probably 85% of the time the last week of a training cycle will leave my knee in mild discomfort for 2-3 weeks after, like right now. After a lot of thought I'm mostly at the decision that it is time to quit squatting heavy. I also sleep for shit nights after deadlifting heavy and those heaviest sets towards the end of a cycle, combined with having had pneumonia multiple times as a child, can leave me unable to get back to normal breathing for tens of minutes after on weeks like this one where there have been air quality alerts

My gym time is my me time, it's that time where no one is demanding my attention and I can just zone out. I love being the strongest person at work, at Church, most places I go that aren't competitions/gyms. I do NOT love that my blood pressure is in stroke territory, that I'm always hungry and morbidly obese by any measurement, that I can't see my dick standing up.

Have any of you reading this, switched from a strength sport to bodybuilding? I'm not interested in a competitive level, I'm never going to be anywhere near that, but I think transitioning is going to be better for my overall health and lower my injury risk rate some.

If so, I'd love to ask some general questions, I can only take so much from hit and run answers on locked threads.