Weight lifting makes me irritable (but running doesn’t)

@hopeeternal no idea as what could cause that but i enjoy lifting when i'm pissed off by something, being angry helps to push harder. some suggestions if u haven't tried: getting caffeine before workout, doing workout at different time of day (early morning or later in evening, depending what it is now). caffeine has some effect on hormones iirc, and if ur used to drinking coffee then try energy drink (sugar free) as they have higher caffeine dosages.

it's very likely hormonal thing, but it is normal to feel a little "on edge" when lifting. what ur experiencing sounds annoying for sure

@hopeeternal I’m the opposite. I get super cranky when I’m running for some reason whereas lifting is my meditative space. If you don’t love it, don’t force it! Moving is the important part. I don’t know if it’s where you’re lifting but maybe try a different environment? I lift as part of CrossFit and there’s so much going on usually that the time flies by and it’s fun. I love getting in my own world and thinking about the numbers but also cheering my friends on when they are doing their lifts. It makes it less about you and more about everyone being successful so I personally feel less self conscious. Also no mirrors!

@hopeeternal Have you tried something with shorter rests? Like a Caroline Girvan style workout on YouTube? Might be enough distraction looking at the TV that you don't get lost in your own head/ feelings. I'm not a runner, hate it in fact, but I feel like the pace of her workouts might give a similar high to one that comes from running. And bonus points for doing it at home and you can just wear underwear if your clothes are bugging you lol

@godisatulpa Yeah for some reason that sort of workout doesn’t bother me — I always feel great after. I wonder if the heavy weights just put too much stress on my nervous system or raise my cortisol too much. The only thing was that I always assumed a structured lifting workout program with progressive overload was the most efficient way to gain muscle, but like someone else here said what’s more sustainable is always better.

@hopeeternal If you follow along with a CGs program it will be very balanced and structured, she makes sure to hit every part of the body.....it's the same moves you'd be doing in a rep based program, it's just time based. The progressive overload will come from increasing your weights over time.

@hopeeternal I love both for different reasons. But on leg day especially I get cranky. My bf gets cranky on upper body days. We’ve gotten into the dumbest arguments after the gym or have had great sex. I think it’s testosterone? Also once we eat we feel great! But running for me relieves anxiety, lifting makes me go cavewomany

@hopeeternal Yeah. It’s hard work. And it takes a long time to get good at it and even longer to see serious physical results. That’s why people hire coaches. Bc it’s definitely a mental challenge.

Also-Are you eating enough food?

Do you feel good after your workout is over?

@loveyhwh My issue isn’t with the time it takes and the mental challenge of lifting heavy — I have been lifting for over 4 years. That’s not the issue.

Yes, I eat substantially before and after. And no, I’m still irritable pretty for the rest of the night, even after I eat a big meal.