Wendler 5/3/1 complimented w/ Push Jerk Programming

sabri

I've been an avid Crossfit supporter for about 4 years now...I've competed a handful of times at local competitions or traveled with friends to compete in Vegas purely for fun and athlete comparison. I am in no way worthy of placing for Regionals or any elite competition...I utilize Crossfit as my way of staying in shape and enjoying life.

Unfortunately, I do not belong to a local box due to the extreme unpredictability of my life/work schedule. I have purchased anything and everything one would need to do ANY workout from the comfort of my own garage. But with that comes the uncertainty of knowing whether or not a certain programming/routine is "working" or counterintuitive.

As of 6 months ago I've been following the Wendler 5/3/1 Cycle complimented with Push Jerk Programming (pushjerk.com). My lifts consist of Shoulder Press/Bench Press, Deadlifts/C&J, Front Squat/Back Squat, and Overhead Squat/Snatch (if you know/understand Wendler, these lifts will make a little more sense as to why they are group together as such). Push Jerk runs a 3 on, 1 off program and I usually bank a small amount of workouts and choose one for the day that pseudo-compliments the lifts I've already completed.

I have found my numbers going up on all lifts and my endurance improving when it comes to WODs. Question is...is this an all-around solid training program? Is this something one would find at a local box? I really don't talk to many other Crossfitters in order to bounce cycles/Programming off each other...

@sabri You're lifting weights, that is a good thing. You may want to focus a bit more. Wendell 5/3/1 is a power lifting program. It is good for power lifting. snatch, clean, jerk, etc. are weightlifting movements. Different kind of lifting.
Before deciding if your program is good or not, you need to figure out exactly what your goals are. Once you have your goals figured out, it's a lot easier to figure out the right program.
Keep lifting though, that's always a good idea!

@sabri At first quick glance this seems pretty well rounded. You're working conditioning and skills in the pushjerk programming and you're hitting strength with wendler 531 and then also adding in oly lifting with that. In my experience 531 can be done very quickly and without getting too tired (its designed for powerlifting where reps over 6 is cardio). If you've got the time and are able to continue to recover from this volume of work then it seems good. I would just ask yourself to honestly evaluate what your biggest weaknesses are and make sure you are hitting those hard.

For me I enjoy doing 531 because I'm already pretty strong especially by crossfit standards. But my running and conditioning is below average and my mental ability to push and embrace the suck is also lacking. My gymnastics skills also are lacking. So while 531 is fun and I enjoy getting strong I really need to spend my extra time on skills and conditioning work that gets rid of the little bitch inside that tells you to slow down when the going gets tough.

All this gets to the point of programming is pretty individual and while you want to have well rounded programming (seems like you do) you also want to put emphasis on your weaknesses. If strength and oly lifting is holding you back in metcons then this seems like good programming for you.

@sabri "I have found my numbers going up on all lifts and my endurance improving when it comes to WODs", sounds like what you're doing is working. If it ain't broke don't fix it. If you stop getting gains, then is the time to question if you need a change. For now, ride those gains as far as you can.

@sabri I have belonged to a Crossfit gym for 3 years and have consistently been WODing and Wendlering for two months. I have never seen my strength increase so much. I always had issues with a weak posterior chain, and Wendler has been the secret sauce towards overcoming it.

@sabri My box did a few 531 cycles this fall. We ended up doubling up wendler days and doing normal crossfit in between. Bench/squat and press/dead. If I eventually give up crossfit, that split plus Olympic work is probably what I'll end up doing.

Back