What’s your double progression like?

backnforth

Do you add reps to the first sets first or start adding reps to the last sets and work back?

For example of progressing 6-9 reps how I might do it is follows:

What do you guys think, would any of you do it differently? I’m curious to know from you guys on how you do your progressions.

That being said, I try to add as many reps as possible to all my sets. I try to stay in the 5-7 rep range, so say I did 7 for my first set and 6 for my second last week, then I’ll try to get 8 and 7 this week

@backnforth My personal preference is to add reps to later sets and work forwards because I always try for 1 RIR. (If I train to failure I like to hit failure on a third set, I've had less injuries this way. This is really rare for me though).

So for 1RIR sets 3x6-6-6 goes to 3x6-6-7 etc. This is what I've found worked best for me after about my first 7 to 10 years lifting. Even after long periods away it's still works best. I also learned to add small loads (0.5-2.5lbs) and try for the same sets x reps. YMMV. I had to scour my journals and read quite a bit to figure this worked for me.

@faithandholyspiritarethek I had to search that and watch it, and yes that is basically almost exactly what I do. I learned it from reading and applying John Christy's Articles.

Designing your training program

The Long cycle

I usually stop with 2-3 work sets depending on the reps I plan to use in the sets. For triceps 2x4-7 creeping death work sets then add the smallest weight I have access to. Biceps 3x3-5 creeping death work set, hit goal, add smallest possible weight. YMMV.

@pamkowal Hello,

when I first tried it I broke through a plateau for arm size. However I did not train for a long enough period to make significant progress (more than half an inch change in the diameter of my arms, flexed). The size I gained I also lost when I stopped training for an extended period.

I'm waiting to recover from a bronchial infection to try something more mainstream (but still low in volume).

@backnforth Total rep goals divided across sets to account for rep drop offs.

Heavier compounds: 25 reps / 3 sets

Accessory compounds: 30 or 35 reps / 3 sets

Isolations: 40 or 50 reps / sets

Let's take RDLs for example. The prior week I had done 8/8/7 for 23 total reps across sets and yesterday I did 10/10/8 for 28 reps. Now that I got 25 total reps, I'll add 10 pounds.

@backnforth First set first!

The first set is surly going to be the most productive (I.e. before you've introduced any local fatigue) therefore driving those sets up first, theoretically should drive the most adaptation.

Although, this is just my way of thinking about it. Maybe someone has more convincing logic why adding reps the last set first makes more sense.

@indybap Personally I find I feel best on my second set. I warm up but the first set is at the working intensity, so it's almost like a bigger warm up.

@kaiisbae I feel that! Have you ever heard of PAP (post activation potentiation)? Where the last warm-up set actually a little above your working weight for 1-3 reps? Doesn't fix that for everything, but some movements it really helps you feel in the groove a bit faster. Of course, your mileage may vary!

@indybap Yeah for sure. I've done that before, maybe something to incorporate again. I'm just limited in time right now so I try to make my sessions as efficient as possible.

@backnforth If I'm going to say RPE 8, my first second and whatever after sets will (usually) not have the same number of reps. And if in adding reps the next week, it's to all sets.

Example:

Week 1, (3 sets, 6-10 reps). 9, 7, 6

Week 2; 10, 8, 7

@backnforth My double progression is:

Currently not progressing 😂

Looking for a new one, I've trained to failure on every set for the last year. About to attempt all sets same number of reps then move up in weight. It will be weird to me, having a different RIR on every set, but progress has stalled and I need something new.

@backnforth I prefer sets across and the last set is as many as possible. It's the simplest way and there is no overthinking or cheating with RIR. If I'm doing 3x8 and my last set I hit 8 reps or more then the next week I increase the weight.

@backnforth I like progressing from the last set because it makes the RIR more manageable, keeping the last set the hardest makes it easier to decide what to do the next week. Also increasing weight in previous sets makes the last set harder so the progression is spread out a bit. For example if you do 8,8,9 then the next week you do 8,9,9 you did the same on the last set, but its actually slightly better progress wise because you did 1 more rep prior.

Back