what am i doing wrong?

triqquuee

hey! I’m 26F, been overweight my whole life but fell in love with working out and lifting weights during the pandemic. I have my own little home gym i love, i eat in a calorie deficit, workout 45-90min 4-6 days a week.

i’ve found a workout split that works with my hectic work schedule. i’ve been consistent with this particular schedule for over 5 weeks now. when do i change it up? i’ve been lifting a little heavier, i feel stronger and my body is changing (my weight hasn’t). after leg day i’m NEVER sore. not even a little. my legs are my strongest body part for sure and my workouts are definitely glute biased. i thought i’d done my research well enough but i’m confused??

TLDR: after being consistent with a glute bias workout split, my legs aren’t sore anymore despite increasing weights!

@ayoola Okay that makes sense, thanks! I usually do 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps, sometimes my last set i push until failure. Do you think i should increase that to 15, 20 reps?

@triqquuee You should do every set to failure. It doesn’t matter what the number of reps is. Do slow controlled reps, pause at the bottom and slow back up. To failure. You’ll for sure be more sore than you are now.

@triqquuee From a motivational speech

“There is a bell in the in compound and all you have to do to quit is ring that bell, don’t ever, EVER ring that bell”

Regardless of rep count, were you able to finish the last rep, if so, then do another one, did you do that rep, then do another. Till the answer is I couldn’t do one more. Adjust the weight accordingly up. This approach forced growth, you will see huge results if you hit every workout like this

@triqquuee 34 M. Overweight my entire life. Got thin doing fasted cardio for 7 or 8 months, every day, at a calorie deficit. I lost over 120 pounds, and regret the fuck out of it. I'm fat skinny now, and the amount of work I will have to do to fill the skin with muscle is almost enough to give up.

I should have instead bulked, I should have eaten a clean, high calorie, high protein diet while lifting heavy. I'm doing that now. My weight isn't changing despite eating like a bear ready to hibernate. I'm getting huge, which is great. It's been 6 months, and I am just starting to see changes, though I've been getting stronger the whole time.

Patients. Shit takes time, yo.

@triqquuee I disagree with most of the replies here. Increase the weight every workout by a small amount. If you consistently lift more your muscles will grow. You don't work out to get sore you workout to make progress.