What are some good workouts for a man who’s overweight?

or19937

I’m in my mid 20’s, 5’11, 265 pounds and Ive started working out and going to the gym. I want to make good progress without pushing myself too hard to the point I get hurt or burn out, so far I’ve been mainly doing 1 mile on the treadmill at a jogging pace then I mix it up sometimes do my arms or leg press, elliptical, etc. one of my friends was telling me he lost a lot of weight by swimming after his workout but I don’t have access to a pool right now.

@or19937 Find something you enjoy. Do that. Try and get a balance of cardiovascular and strength work. Get into a calorie deficit and try and eat whole unprocessed foods.

@or19937 Ditch the treadmill and elliptical and hit the stair climber. Just try to do like 5-10 minutes at a time and work your way up from there. You could also do “hikes” on the treadmill with the incline way up. 30 minutes, 3 speed, 10 incline. Until you get your weight down jogging might be harder on your joints, back, etc

@strawblonde Personally I would cut out a bunch of calories and lift weights with a slightly lower rest period. You can keep your heart rate up above 140 very easy this way while building more muscle and stopping the muscle break down from lower calories.

@or19937 If your primary goal is to lose weight, you should be focusing on your eating rather than your working out. What you eat = weight gain/loss, cardio = better cardiovascular health, weight lifting = muscle gain. Yes, each of the first column can affect each of the second column a little, but the combinations I’ve listed here are the primary effects.

The first step is to calculate your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) - this is the number of calories per day your body needs to power its functions. Then, subtract 500 calories from that number to get your daily calorie target. Finally, track your calories each day (literally everything you eat), and make sure you don’t go over your target.

500 calories/day deficit = 1lb per week of weight loss, which is the recommended target. If you want to be aggressive you can go for a slightly larger deficit, but I wouldn’t recommend going over 1000. Track your weight on the scale and get an average over each week (note that weight can fluctuate as much as 5lbs throughout the day and from day to day, so don’t freak out over random changes). If after 3-5 weeks you’re not seeing your weight trend in the right direction, adjust your calorie count and try again. Good luck!

@jbearit84 Dieting without exercise will usually result in all sorts of relapses. The real goal is to look better. Working out can increase metabolism— and more muscle mass generally looks better.

@jbearit84 No kidding. But this is r/workout— not r/dieting r/weightloss. You can shrink in size while gaining muscle mass— much better than being skinny-fat. Plus it is generally much easier creating a calorie deficit through cardio than by calorie restriction.

@2preciousgirls If you genuinely think that it’s easier to create a calorie deficit through cardio than through calorie restriction, we’re just going to have to agree to disagree. There’s a reason “you can’t outrun your fork” is a saying. Best of luck to you!

Back