What are your favorite types of sets?

1) Straight sets - same weight, same number of reps, keeping reps in reserve for the first sets.

E.g. 200 x 10 reps (2 RIR), 200 x 10 reps (1 RIR), 100 x 10 reps (0 RIR)

2) Sets to failure (two options)

a) you can maintain the same weight, and decrease the reps

E.g. 200 x 10 reps (0 RIR), 200 x 8 reps (0 RIR), 200 x 7 reps (0 RIR)

b) you can lower the weight and keep the same number of reps (downsets)

E.g. 200 x 10 reps (0 RIR), 195 x 10 reps (0 RIR), 190 x 10 reps (0 RIR)

3) Pyramid sets - increasing the weight with each set, while decreasing the number of reps

4) Reverse pyramid sets - do the hardest set at first, then decrease the weight and increase the number of reps with each set

5) Top set and back-off set - similar to reverse pyramid, but only 2 sets

6) Cluster sets - several mini sets, with short rests

7) Density sets - doing 2 exercises back to back in a given period of time. E.g. doing as many pullups and pushups you can do in 10 minutes.

Maybe not great for BB, but good for conditioning.

8) Rep goal system / rep targeting - you need to do a certain number of reps in a certain number of sets.

9) Ramping sets - same number of reps, increase the weight constantly. Basically, many warmup sets until you go to a top set

10) Alternating sets - doing a set of one exercise, rest, do a set of another exercise, rest... and so on. Different than supersets, where you don't rest.

E.g. - dumbbell bench press... rest 2 minutes... pullups... rest 2 minutes.. dumbbell bench press... rest 2 minutes... pullups

I didn't include:

a) myo-reps or dropsets because these are intensity techniques

b) supersets / tri-sets/ giant sets because these are methods to save time in the gym

Also, I couldn't include all of them in the poll.

View Poll

@orthodox_christian When I start a set my aim is failure. If I reach failure, it's a success.

Failure training is very important to me mentally, even though many say that you could leave couple of reps in reserve. But to me, Mentzering myself to absolute failure is necessary. That way, I can look myself in the mirror and not lie, when I say "I did the best I could".

If I fail to go to failure, then I get paranoia about being a lazy son of a bitch. This has to do with my rough childhood, I'm sure.

At the end of the day, the tired man says: "It is done."

@orthodox_christian straight sets in which i beat my logbook numbers are by far the most important sets to me. Idc what the RIR is but usually it falls somewhere between 2RIR and 0RIR.

Also this is kinda semantic but technically 0RIR is not failure. Failure is actually failing a rep, whereas 0RIR is completing a rep and racking because you know you're not getting another one with decent form.

@needheaven I think maybe because it got a bad reputation, being used by Arnold and many enhanced bodybuilders, on many bro splits. Also many criticise it because you lose strength on your last set/sets.

What I like about it is that it you don't need much warmup if the first set has high reps and the joints seem to feel better on the last set... compared with a reverse pyramid.

@orthodox_christian It changes depending on my volume needs. If for example three sets is too many, and they're all to failure, I could decrease it to two sets, or I could make one of the three sets not to failure, or I could do two sets but then do a cluster after the second set so it's like two and a half sets. They're all options. But in the interest of putting my cards on the table and actually having an opinion, I'll say the below:

Reverse pyramid is probably a bit better than regular pyramid because on reverse pyramid the heavy set will interfere with the quality of your lighter set less than the light set would interfere with the quality of your heavy set If you did the light set first.

Rep goal system / rep targeting seems like something you do If you want to have fun & aren't too interested in optimal. It could be my bias but when I think about this method I just think about 5/3/1 guys being told on a bench day to do 50 pull-ups in however many sets it takes just because Dave Tate didn't care enough to get more specific than that.

Alternating sets is nice but I'll do what I can predictably consistently get away with in my busy gym.

@orthodox_christian Shocking how many people are supposedly training with 0RIR and doing 3 sets per exercise. Also, you can go to failure or close to with reverse pyramid. The best way to train imo. Great built in load management and training intensity.

@orthodox_christian Reverse pyramid is my go to for almost every excercise. It just makes sense to have your top set be the heaviest, while dropping weight on subsequent sets and keeping intensity high.

More effective on compound lifts imo, not so much on other excercises where you can’t control the weight you are lifting to the same degree.

@orthodox_christian Always the same weight, getting close to failure at the first set, taking a 2-3 min break, taking the 2nd (and 3rd if I do 4 sets) set close to failure, then take the last one to failure.

I feel like I lose some reps later on if I go to failure too early.

Back