what does the community think of exercises like these?

b5268

I'm fairly new to kettlebells and am looking to maybe introduce them around an existing Calisthenics program that I do. Primarily focussing on swings and some hinge movements and some isolation work.

To research kbs I've been lurking on this forum as well as checking YouTube and the like. This account below has some really mean looking exercises but having not done them I wonder what their benefit will be (ie is it cardio, movent, strength, balance, combination of all)

Would these be exercised that a beginner should look at

Here are some examples

@b5268 They all are fine - generally speaking a program will be better in the long run though. If you have specific goals - programs that reflect that will generally be efficient than random IG workouts.

The random workout can be fun though haha

@ant0099 In my mind I would be adding some basic / classic kB movements to my push pull routine, but would like to add exercises like these perhaps tonisolation work and mobility/ prehab when I better understand the effect

@b5268 In the second one, he is emulating dumbbell/ barbell exercises with a kettlebell. While you can of course do that, it’s usually not what kettlebell enthusiasts would go for.

The first one looks like a complex made up of various “classic” kettlebell exercises with some additional bodyweight work. What he shows there is generally fine (and he seems to know what he is doing), yet it does require some kettlebell specific skills (knowing how to hinge, getting into and holding a solid rack position etc.). This is doable, yet your technique should be on point, which is why I’d focus on learning the “classic” movements (swing, clean, press, jerk etc) beforehand. If done correctly, this works both your strength and the cardiovascular system.

@b5268 The first one is really the only example of true KB use, e.g. movements that can't be replicated with other equipment. I agree that the others are just KB variations on lifts/movements you can do with dumbbells or barbells.

KB conditioning is no joke. I would set aside a week or two and just learn to do swings and some other foundational movements, dialing in your form and weight. If you just do your regular workout and try to throw in a quick 100-swing finisher you will be gassed.