What is more impressive? 225 bench x 8 or 315 squat x 8?

spykat19

What is more impressive considering good rom?

I’m going to have to go with 225 bench because I’ve seen plenty of small guys squat a crazy amount but can barely bench 225

View Poll

@spykat19 Has to be Squat for sure, I see the bench one at least once a week at my gym but can't remember the last time I saw 3+ plates for 8 on squats, at best I see a set of 3 with acceptable depth

@spykat19 That’s because squat hurts a lot more and is riskier, many get back pain from it and therefore it’s more impressive because it’s more rare to actually get to a heavy squat.

@spykat19 Bench impresses anyone who benches (almost 100% of gym ppl)

Squat impresses powerlifters. Powerlifters are a minority and they are tough people who are difficult to impress with a mediocre (by their standards) squat.

Conclusion: bench wins!

@garwo123 Maybe you shouldn't have vote if you believe they're equal. Now you voted in something you don't believe in: One being more impressive than the other

@mgunz Oh cool, I didn't know there was an option to see results or consider them to be equal. Whoops. I should have picked that option in the poll then right?

@garwo123 Another option is to move on and not pick anything? 😊 It's like if someone come up to you and ask, "Do you want a kick to the teeth or to the nuts?" You chose the nuts because they're not giving you a third option.

@mgunz I can't see the results then. That was the point I made. Your example is completely out of line by comparison. It's a question of which I think is more impressive, not someone ready to physically hurt me asking me how I want to be hurt

@constantine1946 That’s actually a good bench to squat ratio. As for the above comment.. not so much.. 😂 you should definitely squat a solid margin above your bench unless you have an injury hindering you from squatting heavy of course

@spykat19 Pretty close but by comparing powerlifting results, and using the most accurate 1RM calculator, the squat is slightly more impressive.

A bench of 230 x 8 would be equiv to a squat of 315 x 8.