What is more impressive? 225 bench x 8 or 315 squat x 8?

@spykat19 The 'strength standards' of leaving the novice stage which people throw around are 1/2/3/4 plate ohp, bench, squat, deadlift. Regardless of the issue of trying to use a catch-all for defining when any particular person leaves the novice stage, I think the ratio is pretty good for the average person. When you see people argue against it in all the different possible ways, you know it makes for a pretty good average.

@spykat19 General powerlifting rule of thumb is a 3:4:5 ratio of bench:squat:deadlift. It of course varies for different body types, but that’s the starting point. That bench is only 71% of the squat, vs the 75% in the base ratio, but it’s close enough to not really be that much different than one another.

@spykat19 First time I benched I did like 8 reps of 225.. maybe it was from all the push ups I used to do in the military. Idk. But it wasn’t that hard.

Squating on the other hand took some time to build to.

@spykat19 Has to be squat. I've been weight lifting consistently for the last two years and you normally don't see someone in a commercial gym (non bodybuilders) squatting 3 plates, regardless of height, bodyweight.

Benching 225 in itself is more common, even at 8 reps.

I'm 5'11, currently around 200 lbs and my first working set last week was 225 x 8 reps, no spot.

My squat game is weak lol. I'm only at 185lbs with decent ROM.