What is your favorite MAG grip for lat pulldown?

blondie977

Out of the MAG grip attachments below, which do you feel hits your lats the most?
  1. Close grip neutral
  2. Close grip pronate
  3. Close grip supinate
  4. Med grip neutral
  5. Med grip pronate
  6. Med grip supinate
  7. Three quarter grip
  8. Wide grip
Website for picture reference:
https:// www.maxagrip.com/products/

tI; dr Looking to buy some MAG grip(s) for lat pulldown. Wondering which grip(s) folks connect with the most, ty!

Those used to be my favorite, but someone took like a fucking bite out of it or something and my gym hasn't replaced it.

Had to switch to medium neutral which is still good.

@blondie977 I only have the close grip supinated (a knock off anyway), but with it I feel pulldowns more in my lats and less in my arms than with any grip on a standard pulldown bar.

I also attach it to a barbell with a chain for landmine rows, which works well for me.

@blondie977 V-grip. Keep elbows around 90°. Lean forward on extension to get maximum stretch, and back on contraction, keeping your biceps out of the movement. Absolutely amazing pump, and totally isolated to the lats.

@m_louise_2911 Not with lats, they don't have much leverage in the stretched position. Short to mid is best. All this requires nuance.

It's not just ROM either, the force direction is at a steep angle which isn't great for isolating lats. Assuming that's the goal. I guess it's fine if you want a balanced back movement, but it's not great for lats unless you used it single arm.

I clicked your video, you know he's a meme right now right? He's considered a joke with his EMG machine and misinterprets everything.

@helen2002 Leverage matters with force, not necessarily with hypertrophy, which is what we're talking about here, right? If you're looking to move the most out of weight, then sure, this is a terrible exercise. If you're looking to isolate lats and tap them like a maple, it's magnificent. That exaggerated stretch at the full eccentric is the entire point, and the continued movement backwards maintains that isolation. Stay in one position, and yeah your other muscles jump in.

I personally don't care about cultural memes or what meatheads are chuckling about in the locker room. If you can point to something that actually demonstrates the fallacy in this movement, I'm open to all demonstrations.

@m_louise_2911 Leverage matters. We want to be training with resistance profiles that have peak forces where the muscle has the most leverage to produce the most tension. Eg. The bottom of a preacher curl instead of the top.

The lats are strongest in the shortened position in a row where the elbow creates the 90 degree angle perfectly matching the resistance profile. Unfortunately using the V grip takes that tension away in this position.

It doesn't isolate the lats well with this grip, it brings in other muscles with the diverging arm path.

All explained extremely well in the video above so I'm not going to just keep repeating myself. Train however you want, I'm just pointing out that this isn't the best way to go about isolating and prioritising lats over more medium grips.

Back