What is your favorite MAG grip for lat pulldown?

@helen2002 Even in the video you shared, he mentions that the vbar is going to offer a greater overall stretch than that mid width neutral grip. That stretch is more valuable in terms of hypertrophy than a full contraction.

@m_louise_2911 Yes the V bar has a greater stretch.

No you don't want to prioritise the stretch with lat movements. They work the opposite way and have extremely low leverage in the stretched position.

@sashacat You actually can, even with verse grips just a bitch to setup

Ur like xubu42 said they designed it really well to not rely on your grip so much

@blondie977 If it's to target lats specifically there's only really one correct choice and that's the neutral grip that's just slightly outside shoulder width.

The wider or pronated grips will bring in more upper back and reduce ROM on the lats. The super narrow grip also has a wider elbow path and takes tension away from the lats. Semi-supinated feels great but I noticed it was impacting my later back movements due to the higher bicep involvement.

@learningasigo V bar AKA the baby handle has diverging elbows, this reduces the ROM for the lats. Not terrible, but the medium grip is a far better option if the goal is lats.

More context from actual expert on why it's not great for most movements.

@learningasigo Sure? It you prefer it great. I'm just stating it's objectively not as good for the lats due to it's limitations compared to wider grips. All of which are explained very simply and effectively in the short video I linked from a biomechanics expert.

Can you grow great lats with this? Absolutely. All these grips work.

Back