What is your least nasty way to cut?

andrewss

So after a year of properly lifting (after years of dicking around), I’ve managed to work my way up to a 1RM of 120kg in deadlifts, 80kg in squats and 65kg in DB press. (Just switched to barbell press.)

It’s absolutely nothing to write home about (I’m 30M, 180cm and 78kg), but I had a few setbacks, namely a dislocated shoulder that put me out of the gym for 2-3 months, and 2 month-long stretches of full time work in construction, during which I was frankly too beat to hit the gym.

Nonetheless, I’ve made some gains, I’m probably the most muscular I’ve ever been (though again, nothing particularly incredible).

However, I’ve gained a decent amount of fat, too, I’d eyeball myself based on reference pictures being at 15-20% BF.

With summer coming up, I feel like cutting down a bit. I just don’t really like the increase in facial fat especially.

Thing is, everyone knows cutting sucks and it’s not easy, there’s no way around it.

In fact, it sucks so much I dread going to the gym now (I’m now trying to eat -500 calories less than usual and lifting 2-3x a week). So my question is; what is the most doable way of cutting, in your opinion?

I’m thinking of switching to taking it slow, focusing on eating almost fully WFPB if I can and reducing my lifting to once a week of heavy compound lifts and cycling recreationally nigh-everyday if I can.

I know it’s not perhaps exact enough, but I know myself - I won’t be weighing food and counting calories exactly every day, but cutting out all processed crap and avoiding fatty foods I can do relatively effortlessly. I figure if I keep that up for 2 months I should have some decent results, but I don’t know, in all honesty. I’ve never done this before.

Any tips? What works for you? What keeps you sticking to a cut? Any advice is welcome.

@andrewss Well first off, don’t drop to one day a week of lifting. Lifting is a cutting cheat code since the calorie burn for muscle repair continues for the next day or two after your workout. I’d continue your lifting regimen, bump up cardio on top of it, bump up your protein intake a little (1.6-2g/kg during a cut it what I strive for) and try to eat clean otherwise. Track your weight every morning when you wake up, and if -500cal isn’t “cutting” it, increase the deficit by 100-200cal.

Vary the cardio too. Go for a run one day, bike ride the next, hit a row, go do an hour of yoga. Keep it interesting.

While weightlifting, try super setting and getting your heart rate up.

@worriedmom1968 Thanks!

I usually go for 110-130g of protein atm, I’m a bit hesitant about bumping it up further because as a vegan eating clean, low-calorie + 140g+ of protein actually seems quite tough. I feel I’d only be drinking shakes, eating seitan, maybe some vegetables and almost no grains, fruits or fatty foods like avocado or nuts & seeds at all, or am I making it seem worse than it is?

Tracking weight & varying cardio are definitely good ideas. Super setting would also save some time so that’s something I’ll certainly have to incorporate in my plan.

I’ll try and avoid any kind of dirty bulk moving forward. I used to be borderline underweight at 18 but now my weight has steadily been going up, and unfortunately I’ve sort of passed the sweet spot. Losing weight, especially while trying to maintain muscle is just straight up not fun, there’s not really any way around it it seems.

@andrewss I simply make sure 500 or so of my calories per day are from fruits and veggies. Two protein shakes is 50g of protein and only ~250 calories. I incorporate flax and chia seeds into breakfast where I can. Making up the other ~1000 calories and 30-40g protein isn’t too bad with tofu, beans, lentils, or seitan.

Soy curls and TVP are your best friend too!

I also do honestly think a “soft” cheat day (eat at maintenance or up to 500cal above, allowing a meal out or a drink or something) once per week goes a long way to making a cut psychologically manageable. Especially if you’re cutting for longer than 2 months.

@packingpadre Two different back to back exercises, that you alternate between sets. For instance, on arm day, you might super set bicep curls with a tricep exercise like pull downs. Or a back exercise with a chest. It’s very easy to superset pretty much any exercise with an ab exercise. Just don’t super set the same muscle group.

It makes your workouts quicker too (and more tiring). Especially if you do a triple super set.

Super Sets

Back