What percent of your income goes towards fitness?

@christian2011 I will not be calculating what I spend on race entries, shoes, and gels per year. But I race usually two half marathons, so roughly $150 ($300 if it’s a Disney race lmao), 3 pairs of shoes a year, and a strength gym membership.

@christian2011 1% for my gym membership

I dont buy any supplements, i dont track what clothing I buy (maybe 2-3 pieces a year at this point and get the cheap stuff, no Lulu), and I've collected a lot of equipment over the years so I dont really need more of that but conservatively maybe another 1% for all that plus activity fees.

Meaning a total of 2% - i live in a MCOL, single, no kids

@christian2011 It's really interesting to see everyone's perspectives here. I have both a standard gym membership and an unlimited membership at my local hot yoga studio. This totals around $200/month and is 2% of my income (1% of household).

I also do a lot of hiking, but I don't consider that as part of my fitness budget because it's primarily for leisure. That's about $100/year in park passes (negligible in the household budget).

@christian2011 2.1% to Orangetheory and 0.4% to 24 fitness.

If anything, I prob spend a lot on protein shakes and chicken. As for clothes, I’ll average buy 1-3 items every quarter and a new pair of shoes a year.

@christian2011 I work almost entirely from home (varying by season: running, yoga, adjustable dumbbells, bike, and bike on indoor trainer). This past year I spent at absolute most .35% (replacement bottle for my flipbelt, sale running shirt and leggings, local race registration, a donation to my local bike coop for help fixing a cable, gas to drive to a park for a bike ride a handful of times in the summer). Last year was particularly low on spending because I requested several fitness items as gifts, but I'm probably spending well under 1% on average.

I have income that I'd be able to spend more, but I'm perfectly happy with what I'm doing.

@christian2011 Supplements: .8% (I buy whey in the big 10-lb bags to save money and only use pre-workout occasionally)

Clothes: .07% (I buy maybe two new pieces of exercise clothes a year and wait for big sales)

Group fitness classes: .625% (the boxing classes I take 2x a week are run by a non-profit so it's dirt cheap)

Equipment: .2-1%. (I lift at home, so this varies a lot depending on the year. I'm set pretty well at this point)

@vickey52 A bit of both. Haha! I make good money in IT these days, but it's taken me years to be comfortable spending any money on myself after years of barely scraping by. I'm definitely still a saver. Got t-shirts that are nearly 20 years old that I will still workout in.

@christian2011 It's a complicated question because if I pay 30$ for access to a hiking trail does it count as leisure or fitness? Really most of my leisure is fitness related. I eat more and higher quality foods because I workout but really these are regular living expenses.

If I take my net income. I live in Canada for context

Gym 1.6%
Food 14%
Equipment/clothes 5%
Supplements

@christian2011 Less than 1%. My expenses are about four pairs of running shoes a year and that’s it.

I don’t race, I don’t have a gym membership, I don’t eat anything special or hire professionals for anything, and I’ve been riding the same bike for years and my jogging stroller was a gift.

I guess I do buy a lot of lululemon, so maybe it’s 1% year, but that’s more for fashion than function if I’m honest.

@christian2011 Saving this bc I’m definitely curious too! Starting to track my finances consistently and looking to establish a fitness routine and the finances aspect has me wondering what’s an appropriate $ spend on fitness in my 20s with ok income

@christian2011 Like 3% for classes and a gym membership. I buy gym clothes occasionally, but not super often. That's probably another 1-2%. Add in another for miscellaneous purchases and I'd say 5% total? Not too bad considering that I keep two memberships, one for fitness classes. I also bike with my mom and she pays for most things associated with that, like fees for large organized bike rides.

Back