What routine would you recommend based on my home gym?

brian1970

Hi all

Early / mid 30s Dad of 2. Used to be in great shape twice in my life before for few periods before falling off the cliff. Each of those times id go from c.95kg down to 75kg very low body fat etc but also each of those times i got there by essentially quiet quitting my job and spending like 6-8 months "WFH" and going beast mode 3-6 hours work out per day (e.g. 1-2 hours gym, 2-3 hours walking, MMA etc) nearly every day.

Now i have much less time but fortunately more money for a nice home gym.

This is my current setup:

https://preview.redd.it/9fn3byo0keb...bp&s=5f7f8d175135a4dcb3cfe7fe3fdc1b95a83602a1
  • Dip bars
  • Pull up bar (very little headroom sadly)
  • 4 kettle bells (12,18,24,36kg)
  • Squat/Bench press rack (goes upto 140kg in weights)
  • Pull down / up wall mounted machine (shares weights with squat/bench rack)
  • Weighted jump rope (0.5, 1kg, 2kg)
  • Landmine viking press
  • (not yet purchased) Free standing speed bag
I can easily dedicate 2h every evening (as my wife works in same place on the computer).

Want something simple, dont care about body building or hitting every seperate muscle. Ideal for me would be 3-4 exercises per day and just increase volume/weight. big fan of exercises that are more "full body" type.

Id say would say my goal would be strength / conditioning as id love to go back to MMA training / sparring which i used to do

Im thinking 3 day split, 1 day rest followed by repeat. Perhaps:

Lower Body (squats , deadlift, kettle bell swings, turkish get up?)

Upper Body (dips, pull ups, bench press, landmine, kettlebell C&P?)

Cardio focus (jump rope several k & speed ball work. Perhaps some kettlebell work?).

For reference at my peak i could do c.120kg squat, 140-150kg DL, 80kg bench (worst), would do 10k jump rope skips etc with breaks.

Also, not shown in picture but i have 2 sets of mirafit jerk blocks so deadlifting on that floor shouldnt be issue, but i do need to get a dead lift block so that i once again have full ROM

Appreciate any advice!

@brian1970 One suggestion for the pull up bar, can you flip it upside down to give yourself more room for head space? In terms of workout routines there are good apps (Fitbod,workout,jefit) where you can enter in all the equipment you have and a program you are looking for and it will spit out some good plans / exercises you can do to meet your goals. Most have free trials so you can see what you like as well as take what they show you to build your own plan in something like excel.

@elykim93 thanks for suggestions. any of them do that particularly well in terms of recommendations? im not really the tracking sets / weights kind of person every day to see progression, just want routine setup and then just blast it for 6-12 months with weight progression so dont really need a subscription as such

@brian1970 I think with you wanting to get back into mma/focusing on conditioning-your split looks pretty great to me. If you want to grow one muscle over another you can adjust your volume on that. You may want to add some barbell curls for the biceps if the pull ups aren’t doing it to your liking.